why cant i get pregnant

hi i am 26 years old and i was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, i am 325 pounds and i also have an underactive thyroid. I am taking 75mg synthroid and meds for diabetes. I desperatly want to get pregnant so bad, I am getting older and I dont want to not have children, I am married and we are desperate for a child. I have tried everything to loose the weight but nothing works , and i come from a family of all overweight people. I dont look like i weigh this much but i do.What i want to know is why am i not getting pregnant and what can i do to get pregnant. Also my periods are not very regular, they come every two months for the last 6 mon. Please help, I really want to be a mother and ive been trying for the last 2yrs.I am so sad because it is just not happening for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In addition to Daisy's great advice, it's very important that you lose weight before you even think about pregnancy.

Morbid obesity and pregnancy can be quite serious, and your risk of preeclampsia is significantly raised, especially as you have diabetes already. There is no perfect time to get pregnant but at this time, getting pregnant could lead to serious consequences. Morbidly obese woman give birth to healthy kids all the time, but many face physical hardships that are quite risky to you and also to your growing baby. You will automatically be considered a high risk pregnancy.

If you come from a family of over-weight people, it's likely that you are coming from a family of over-eaters. You need to change your way of life, even if they do not.

Getting together with a nutritionist and a suppport group is a great idea, even your own doctor can help or look around EmpowHER for our many articles and threads on this topic! I know it's hard to move around now but starting off slowly and getting up to daily hour long walks is a great goal to have. This will not only help with your physical health, but also your emotional health; something that can also affect pregnancy.

At 26, you are still very young (I had three very healthy kids at 34, 35 and 36) so you have plenty of time. Please don't think that being 26 is putting you in an "older mom" category! Being a healthy mom, no matter what your age, will be key and right now you are not healthy.

I know your focus is on pregnancy right now, but I think it should be on your health and wellness. You may find that your current health status is why you cannot get pregnant and once this is changed, your chances may be very quickly increased.

There is nothing more I like to see than great women having the babies they deserve! But your body needs to be healed and your baby needs a healthy, happy mom to care for her. Focus on your health for now and within a year, you could be a whole (or half!) new person, with a baby on the way. Even a 75 lbs loss for now, could help enormously. You CAN lose weight, eat healthily and take exercise. But I think you need a lot of support and help. Start with your doctor and try to get into a walking group or health/fitness group that specializes in helping heavier women because you have special needs for now.

It's just another point to ponder and I do wish you the best. If we can help you in any way, please let us know! Your desire to be a mom is as important as anyone elses but you need to be realistic about things and prepare for a healthy pregnancy by taking care of YOU first...

Welcome to EmpowHER and thanks for your question. So sorry to hear and know how you must be feeling. You are young and should be able to conceive just fine.
But women who are overweight or obese may experience hormonal imbalances that can affect their menstrual cycles and prevent ovulation, making it harder to conceive. That's probably why, your Menstrual cycle are not regular. It's also very important to continue monitoring your diabetes, this will reduce your risk of miscarriage and may help to prevent you developing pre-eclampsia later in your pregnancy.

Here are some links that might be helpful.

Best of luck and keep up posted,