Q: 

Why did I experience a few seconds of total memory loss?

By February 20, 2011 - 7:36am

Last night I woke up after a couple hours of sleep and for a few seconds I could not remember anything! As with most people, I have awaken at night wondering if it were a weekday or weekend and feeling relieved to know it was the weekend....:) However, I have never experienced what I experienced last night. I did not even know who was sleeping in the other bedroom. I was totally blank. My heart was racing. After a few seconds, my memory slowly began to return. I repeated over and over my name, who was sleeping in the next room, song lyrics, information about my family. I was afraid to go back to sleep for fear that it would happen again and last longer or permanently. Please help....

Anonymous

Help..... I was in my friends house there was about 8 of use every thing was ok until something happened to me it's like I lost control in my head. I was looking at two of my friends an I was stearing at them I could not recignize them I did no why I was der I just wanted to get up and run as far as possible. What's going on nothing like dis ever happened to me

Anonymous

Since December I have awaken on a few occasions and temporarily forgetting who is with me and who I am. It is a very nervous feeling for me. I am usually in a panic trying to quickly remember. Sadly, it freaks me out so badly until I am afraid to go back to sleep fearing it will come back again. I am so scared that this is the beginning of me losing my mind all together. I totally fear the worse. It doesn't happen every night but has happened enough since December. I have previously been diagnosed with having hyperthyroidism, which also started in December. But previously‚Äč I had been diagnosed with having panic attacks but ultimately I found out that the panic attacks were brought on my the Hyperthyroidism. I have been on zanax and temazapam for the aniexty. Now I am off those meds and on methimazole and atenolol to help with the thyroid problem. I have been reading the threads to hopefully find out what is happening to me. If you have found out anything I would love to know what helped you. I have talked to my doctor and I have also gone to talk to a pyschiatrist and she didn't give me an explanation for this problem. When I first began having the problem it was affecting me when I was driving. It seemed as though I could not remember where I was or where I was going or even who I was. I would repeat my name over and over again also repeating different family members names. Just to convince myself I wasn't forgetting things that I should know.If you or anyone could help me figure this out I would be so grateful. Thanks to all.

Do you have graves? Some ppl have more then one auto immune disease. I'd check into that. Also anxiety is a snowball effect. It's more then just a biological issue- like thyroid issues can cause it but then so does the fear of being sick and the uncertainty that comes when our sense of security rooted in our health fails us and we are reminded of our mortality.. You need a comprehensive approach. I use to have your symptom. Haven't had it in years though.

Anonymous

I did that in work the other day and panicked ..it was horrible and tears come to my eyes when I think of it .i work in a care home with alziemer residents

Anonymous

It happens to me a lot!!! I mean there are days that I'm really normal but than once in a month maybe in a day I feel lost and I recall some strange things from my childhood, I don't know who I am or where or what am I doing, I just kinda black out and I have to calm down and to stand up and walk for a bit to go to normal. It can happen 5 times a day, something is wrong with me but idk!!!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

This is not normal and should be evaluated by your physician. It can be especially serious, depending on your age and medical history.
Please contact your physician today.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I believe these episodes are more common than previously thought and are within the realm of "normal" sleep patterns. Although not experienced by the majority of people, it does happen. Many who experience these episodes have no cause for alarm, but for all practical reasons should be followed up by a sleep specialist, neurologist for further evaluation to rule out any possibility of a more serious underlying cause.

Anonymous

It also happened to me. It's like a dream. A really dark dream where I couldn't see anything and I felt like I'm the only star in universe but I felt safe and contented. Then suddenly i felt something strange like I forgot something that I shouldn't. In a few seconds, I woke up with two guys beside me- a younger and older one. They are asking me question's that i could not answer. I didn't know where am I or what am I, what are these figures called. Then little later, I remember the younger guy beside me, he's my boyfriend and the older guy's my dad. When my sister came in, that's when i remembered everything but just slowly sinking in. I was rushed to the hospital because a very high fever. I don't know if that was a NDE or some medical conditions but I will never forget the experience, the feeling of being lost but feeling safe at the same time.

Anonymous

I have this. On waking sometimes I can't recall my wife's first name for a few seconds. It's as if my body wakes faster then my brain..(as if I have memory lag..)

That's exactly what it is. Your left brain and your right brain work differently. Some parts of your brain don't activate as soon as your body wakes up. Nothing to worry about. It would be different if it had happened while you were awake.

Tags:

Memory Loss

Memory Loss Guide