Why did my period suddenly get so heavy?

My periods are usually heavy and last for about 7 days, but this month has been different. I'm on my period right now and got my period about a year ago. It has been going on for almost a month now, and with a very light flow but when I woke up this morning it suddenly became very heavy. Why is this happening?

Bleeding for a month is not normal and you need to be seen by a health care provider. Our menstrual cycle is dictated by our hormones and you may have some kind of hormonal disorder that needs attention. Bleeding like this could cause anemia.