why do i keep getting lumps in my breast*

By April 1, 2011 - 10:12am

This problem has been going on for around 3 years and is only happening on my right breast. It started with a small lump that I had removed, 6 months later it came back and then grew to 10cm in diameter which made a difference of 3 cupsizes between breasts. I had it removed after numerous biopsies and an mri scan. These showed that there was nothing harmful happening. After a year it came back and I went back to the hospital and was advised to wait 6 months unless it got worse which it did. I was then advised that I should have my contraceptive implant removed to see if it had anything to do with the extra hormones in my body. I've had the implant out now for a month and a half, the lump is getting a lot bigger and harder so waiting to go back to the hospital. I don't know what is going to be done next but feel as though I'm getting nowhere and no questions are being answered. Thankyou for your time with reading this.

Hello I know exactly what you are going through. I suffer from breast lumps and I get scared every times. I have mine drained I went a whole 4 years without them. last year I had the procedure done. Now I have a big cluster in my breast that seem to have come over night. I am very nervous now because I don't have insurance. This is so frustrating. My doctor
suggested to me to see a breast surgeon and have my ducts removed.

i had 2 lumps removed last year - right at one year ago. Both were benign, but one showed abnormal pathology results. I was told "accelerated cell growth" which would be a risk factor for cancer. I saw my GYN today for a new lump - which I have known about for a couple of months. My doctor scheduled a diagnostic mammogram with an office visit with the breast surgeon. Don't really want to think about it. Is it likely to be benign?

For some reason my immune system seems to have turned on me. I also have Graves Disease, osteoarthritis, interstitial cystitis, idiopathic gastroparesis and urinary I retention. (The gastroparesis and retention are the result of nerve damage of unknown origin - have gastric and sacral neuro-stimulators). I had decided not to worry about my breast, but now that I have gone to the doctor and said it out loud, I can't help it.

I hope that the others of you get help and answers.

hi.. im also bothered on what is wrong with my breast. last march27,2012 i undergone breast mass operation.. the result of the biopsy is negative for maligancy.. then after 6months i can feel that ther iis a lump again.. and i leaved it.. then after 4months.. i went to my surgeon then he requested a breast ultrasound, then it shows that 2lumps appeared.. it was removed by october11,2012,. now.. i can again feel 2lumps.. now i am bothered becayse why is it keep on coming back.. :)

My mom also have this kind of disease or cyst. And she's been suffering from it for the past 3 years. Her lump looks almost the same with the one on the left, swollen, tender with pus or nana in local language. After the pus has "ripen", fluids starts coming out and then we have to ask her take antibiotics then go to the doctor.

It reoccurs almost every February, we always have her check her breast, endorsed to a mammogram, then biopsy then continuous medication. Then after several month, the lump would go away. Then again, After a year, it would reoccur again.

I know how hard it is for my mom, shes still young (40). And it troubles her so much. I once heard that her doctor says that she has to have her breast cut off to prevent it from recurring. Which I am not considering right now due to the fact that It might worsen the situation as told by the other women.

She smokes. And has diabetes. It is also painful to lift her arms.

Anyone who can shed some light to these, or any who have experienced this who continued to be okay.
I really want to give my mom hope about her situation.

Well I'm 30 and having the same problem I have one huge cyst between my neck and shoulder which doesn't bother me I've had that for over ten years... than 6years ago I had one forming while I was at work all of a sudden feeling severe pain wasn't sure why went to the doctors and got it aspirated got infected after and had to have surgery but 4 years went by and formed another one right n the same spot I feel pain and pressure while it's forming... went yet again to the dry they gave me antibiotics and went away now as I'm messaging u I'm having another one form again... I do smoke but I'm not sure why I'm getting them n the same spot and breast but hopefully when I go to the dry next week I'll find out more info... other than that I'm a healthy individual... reading these forums it could be cuz of my thyroids... this is from my breast btw... hope this helps

I'm trying to figure out why I am having recurring lumps in my breast. I've had 2 in my right breast (removed by surgery) and now I have had 2 in my left breast (1 surgery on left so far) all of which grew rapidly within less then a year 1/2 with only a short break in between.

The first surgery I had on my right breast, about 1/4 inch from my incision there was a pen size hole that developed within a few days after surgery. Eventually the hole started to release a lot of blood (soaked the top of my shirt), I bandaged it up and every day after that it yellow, and redish fluids would leak out along with little clumps of white balls. About 2 weeks later I went in and had more surgery on the same breast/area to close up the hole.

Now with this new lump in my left breast, it has (like all the other lumps) have grew to the outer edges of my breast) swelled up, with a red tent with a very warm and tender to the touch.

I have had 1 mammogram about a year ago (after repeatedly asking 5 times to get one and the doctors always telling me I was to young, I am 24 y.o with 4 kids), I have had about 7 ultra sounds, and about 4 manual exams by various doctors. So far all I have got answer wise was a benign cyst.

Other issues I have been having for months....
I have had headaches/migraines pretty much 6x a week for months, if I bend my neck backwards or try to lay on my stomach I get a sudden throbbing pain up the back of my neck and in my head followed by a migraine. I've had back pains, abdominal pains, fatigue, and frequent bathroom urges.

I was diagnosed with..
Depression (mild) and anxiety (mild)

I do smoke cigarettes.
I do not drink any alcohol at all.
I am active.
No allergies.
No family history of cancer or benign cysts.

Can someone maybe shade of light on information or advice?!? I'm really getting sick of dealing with this daily pain.... :(

HERWriter Guide (reply to Lovingfamilyof5)

Hi lovingfamilyof5

It does sounds like you have cysts - they are actually quite common and unfortunately, some women get them all the time, with or without family history.

You can read more about them here, including treatments: http://www.empowher.com/breast-cysts/content/procedures-take-care-breast...

Your other symptoms could run the gamut of conditions, from bladder issues to stress to digestive/colon problems.

For migraine causes, read more here: http://www.empowher.com/migraine/content/migraines-types-prevention-and-...

Can you rule out pregnancy?

Hi Tara Barker

Thanks for your post and welcome to EmpowHER!

It sounds like you may be prone to breast cysts - something that some women have a lot of trouble with. It's a scary condition because of the worry that one of these cysts may be malignant even though the odds are that they are harmless.

Tara, when did you start taking your method of birth control? Was it reasonably close to the time you started getting these lumps? Is so you may need to give it more time although it's concerning that it's getting even bigger.

Can you tell us what your doctor has said about these lumps? What are they - are they cysts?

According to our Breast Cysts page, " The glandular tissue of the breasts cycles monthly with menstrual periods, enlarging to prepare for a pregnancy, and then diminishing if one does not occur. This cycling causes cysts and excess fibrous tissue to build up. Virtually all women will have some form of this condition during their reproductive years, though many will not seek treatment for it.

■Multiple lumps (cysts) in both breasts that cycle with menstrual periods
■Cysts may produce no symptoms or cause pain (mastalgia) and tenderness
■Although at any given time a fibrocystic lump may be difficult to tell apart from a cancerous mass, its rapid disappearance and reappearance helps distinguish this condition from breast cancer
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. There are generally only two concerns that arise from these symptoms:

■Are you uncomfortable?
■Do you have breast cancer?

Tests may include the following:

■Mammogram (x-ray of the breasts)
■Needle aspiration of a lump
■Excisional biopsy of a suspicious area

It is important to note that mammograms alone cannot reliably distinguish between a benign cyst and a cancer. A lump that does not show significant monthly changes must be evaluated by other means.

You can read a lot more on our Page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/breast-cysts

The left side of the page has all the medical information (including treatments) and the middle part has all the articles and questions/answers from other members.

Please take a read and let us know what you think. Are these the kind of lumps you are talking about?

Also, take a look at this recent post and tell us if this sounds like something you are going through:

I hope to hear back from you!

Hi thanks for your reply.
I've had a couple of cysts and had them removed the last time I had surgery but this is not the main lump. I say lump as I'm unsure of how to describe it to be honest, I should have put that in my post. My Dr has said its more like an overgrowth of breast tissue that doesn't know when to stop growing, it feels like a lump and is really hard too. He also said that my left breast is under developed while my right is over developed.
When I first found the lump I was pregnant with my second child 4 years ago. The following year I had a 'lump' removed. Almost as soon as I had recovered it grew bigger and bigger, I was then referred to another Dr. The year after I had the larger lump removed but still no clear answer as to why it keeps growing. It was around 6 months later I started to use the implant as a form of contraception. A few months after this I noticed more growth again. This was when I was advised to remove the implant to see if it made a difference and stopped the growth but it hasn't its just growing back the same as before. I wasn't using any other form of hormonal contraception before using the implant.
My breast is very painful and swollen that sometimes I can't lift my ARM and I'm having to continuously wear a bra for support when sleeping at night.
Also this lump never goes away like what would happen during a menstrual cycle it just continues to get bigger. And all of this is only a problem in what my Dr described as the over developed breast.
I hope this helps a little and will be happy to answer any more questions!

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide