Why do I keep getting Urinary Track Infections?

By Anonymous February 7, 2012 - 11:37am

Im 16 years old, and sexually active. Im on birth control, and i probably have sex about three times a week or more. My mom knows about it, and she helps me with stuff, but something were both concerned about is why i keep getting UTIs. Ive been trying to pee before and after sex, which i think is helping..what can i do to prevent getting more in the future, because its a hassle going to the doctor so often. Also..my lower abdomen sometimes hurts after sex, like close to where my ovaries are. Is this normal?

Your frequent UTIs may be due to sex; this isn't that uncommon. It does help to go to the bathroom before and after but often times, it's the "pounding" motion of sex that causes the infection to occur and there is not much one ca do about that. I'm not even sure "gentle" intercourse could help but you may want to try that.

There are medications you can take once a day or once every time you have sex. These are quite effective. You can read a lot more about all this here: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/nearly-constant-urinary-tract-infections

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!