Why do I never want to do anything?

For a while now, but more so since summer started, I have lost all motivation to do anything. I never want to go anywhere or do anything. I get physically tired from being around people all the time and I would much rather be at home in my room by myself. I legitimately crave being alone. It's not like I want to be this way, I don't understand why I never want to do anything. I have also had a spike in my anxiety level whenever I have to do something I've never done before. I get so anxious I sometimes feel ill. I consistently feel down and I only get the occasional moment of excitement/happiness. I don't know why I feel this way. I want to be excited about life, but I'm just not.. I often feel numb to all excitement.

Welcome! You are not alone! I apologize if it is not.

Here is a link that might help you : http://www.empowher.com/groups/Mood-Disorders-0 and I hope to see you there. I still plan to post here as well.

You sound young, how old are you? Are you in high school and on summer vacation?

It sounds like you are a bit depressed. Sometimes getting up and forcing yourself to take part in life's activities can help. It's called "fake it till you make it" and works for many people!

Getting a summer job can help too - is that possible? You sound like perhaps you need a busy routine in your life and being on vacation has changed things for the worst.

Try to make a point of getting up and showered every morning. Make a list of things to do.

Physical activity is important - exercise is a great healer in depression. Can you take a 3-5 mile walk everyday? That will be both physically and mentally helpful.

Find someone to talk to so you don't have to feel like this and deal with this on your own.

Alone time is good for all of us but not when it's caused by negative feelings.

yes, I'll be 16 next week. I've been babysitting a lot lately and I do have a job, I bus tables. Even with that job though, I have a hard time pretending to be happy to all the customers.

I mean, I'm not sad, I just don't really feel anything. I do feel happy at times, but I find it's very brief and then I want to be alone right after. I often feel like there is a dark cloud over my head..

I'm usually very organized, tidy and I get stuff done but I just don't have the motivation or energy to do anything. My parents have noticed my reluctance to participate in things but they just blame it on " getting too much sleep" and things like that. I feel like they're missing the bigger picture and I'm not sure they'll understand.

HERWriter Guide (reply to acissej1)

Hi Again!

My advice is to go to one of your parents (of your choice) and talk to them about how you're feeling. You might be surprised at their understanding.

As a mother myself, I would hate to think one of my children is suffering from some kind of depression and not able to tell me, it'd break my heart. Please give it a try. They probably have no idea how you're really feeling inside. Give them a chance.