why do my 50+ vitamins give me bad indigestion within 30 minutes?

By March 23, 2010 - 10:50pm

I'm trying to get the vitamins and minerals I need but can't "stomach" the vitamins even on a full stomach. They cause a lingering indigestion for me.

Have you ever tried to take your vitamins (with food, like some crackers, for instance) before bed? That's what some pregnant women do with prenatal vitamins that cause them nausea. If you are the kind of person who falls asleep in those first 30 minutes, perhaps the vitamins won't affect your stomach the same way?

I sometimes get this when I take a multiple with Iron as Itron can be difficult to digest. Also I always take my vitamins with food, otherwise it upsets my stomach and can cause repeat burping of vitamins.

Hi Susan and susanyme - I believe that this is about vitamins that have been especially formulated for people over the age of 50.

As people age they start producing less stomach acid which can then lead to stomach upsets that they didn't have before. Have you noticed any food products causing an upset stomach? Are you having trouble tolerating foods that you used to enjoy? Or are you only experiencing difficulty when you take this vitamin? Most 50+ vitamins include B complex vitamins and they can cause light nausea. Another ingredient in multi-vitamins that can cause nausea and an stomach upset is iron. Does your 50+ vitamin contain iron? Some people have found that the nausea from these ingredients goes away with time as their body adjusts to the vitamin, others have found it intolerable. Many people who aren't able to tolerate vitamins in pill forms have switched to liquid vitamins which could be another option for you.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Take good care, Pat

Hi Susanyme

Unforunately, I have some of my own in order to help you out! When you say your 50+ vitamins cause you "indigestion" - what do you mean by 50+ vitamins? How many pills are you taking? Some vitamins pills have 20 or more vitamins and minerals in one pill.

I assume you are not taking 50 actual pills? Unless directed by a health care professional, nobody needs to take 50 vitamin pills per day. This would mean that your diet is very inadequate and these pills could cause more harm than good - at the very least the discomfort you are having. You should be getting the majority of your nourishment from foods, not pills.

I may have interpreted your question incorrectly so please let me know what you mean by "50+ vitamins". I look forward to hearing more from you!

50 + vitamins are a vitamin tablet for aged 50 and above.