Why do some children have a lisp?

By December 13, 2008 - 1:00pm

I know several young kids and toddlers who have a lisp and they usually grow out of it by the age of 5 or so. Occasionally, a person doesn't.

Anyone know why a kid has a lisp in the first place and why do some kids speak with a lisp and others don't?

How do you correct a lisp in 5 year old that appears to be caused by an overbite? Is there something that can be done by a dentist or must you wait until old enough for braces?

my son is 13 he still says s like sh please help

(reply to Anonymous)

Does your son attend public school? You can talk with his teacher about a referral to a speech therapist (they need to qualify, first).

You are correct that most children do outgrow a lisp because it is a developmental error. The best thing to do is model the correct phoneme (sound) productions and not over-correct them. I watched the YouTube video b/c I am a speech pathologist and I thought he did a very good job explaining. The most important thing to consider is when these sounds are developmentally appropriate. For example, I don't work on /s/ in a child in Kindergarten, unless they have already had therapy for other sounds. Then, I will work on the next sound b/c they are at risk for having additional speech sound errors. I think that some people don't know what sounds are developmentally appropriate. There is a variety of research done that is variable. I use a chart compiled from a variety of the previous research. I will try and post it here for you all to see if I can figure out how to do attachments :).

(reply to Anonymous)

I know it's been forever since this post but thought maybe you would see it. Have you ever heard of a younger sibling picking up a lisp from an older sibling? My daughter that is 7 has had a lisp her whole life and her school refuses to give her speech therapy. My 4 year old has never had a lisp until this week. Her cousin also has a severe lisp so she's around it a lot. I'm not sure what to do! When i correct her, she seems to struggle to do it the right way. I don't want her to feel discouraged or over corrected but I'm really afraid of it becoming permanent! Any advice?

i dont understand post more

Here is a link to an excellent video on youtube that is packed with information on this topic. A Speech Pathologist explains what needs to occur in the mouth during accurate /s/ production. There is also a demonstration of a couple of techniques that develop stimulability of the /s/ sound.

I also had to go to speech therapy when I was young, as I could not say the "r" sound. I still remember the worst words to try to pronounce: "squirrel" and "car", which sounded like "squawal" and "caaw" (I would over-pronounce other sounds to try to make-up for the "w" sound!).

I was never embarrassed attending speech therapy class. I think I was so young, it was just another class and I do not recall any of my friends knowing about it. I do not remember actively hiding it, either. I DO still remember by speech therapist teacher, who would create silly hairdos with my long braids while I practiced our lessons...I thought she was so cool! :-)

As an adult, I am able to say my "r's", but if I am in a stressful situation, that "r" is the first sound that I am most likely to stumble on! The worst was trying to pronounce our Realtor's company: "Roy Wheeler", and I would constantly say "Woy Wheeler" or over-compensate and say "Roy Reeler".

Oh, and to the dismay of my mother, my younger sister also picked up the "r" lisp, which was further proof that siblings really do learn more from each other, than from other friends...and even parents! I still think it's funny that of all the people in my sister's life that spoke the "r" sound well, she copied my wrong pronunciation of it. So, Susan, in case your son does need a speech therapist when he's older...you may as well assume that all three of your children may have the same lisp, and start saving up! :-) ha ha! (sorry---I'm just teasing you. I just found out my son inherited my awful teeth and extreme overbite problem, which means braces, headgear, etc...so we're starting to save now!)

I agree that the lisp in little kids is kinda cute. I think our son is actually saying his "r" sounds, but he may have trouble with other sounds in a few years (as miscortes said, when his front teeth fall out...and he just got them!.)

That's great info, Melissa!

My son says 'teef' and 'toof' for teeth and tooth - I love it!

He'll grow out of it soon and I tried to teach him the 'th' sound and it confused him and I thought oh what the heck - teef it is!

Actually you can't teach children how to pronounce things.

As the brain acquires speech capabilities, the connections between consonant formation and actual consonant production are not fully formed. The child does not think that he or she is pronouncing anything incorrectly.

Example: when a child says "fis" instead of "fish."

Child: Look! A fis!
Parent: No, it's a fish.
Child: Yea a fis!

They also don't understand when you say it like they do:

Parent: Look a fis.
Child, Nuh uh, a fis!

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide