Why do we sweat when we are having a nightmare?

By Guide January 20, 2015 - 2:38pm

I woke up this morning soaking wet, head to toe. I know it sounds gross-it definitely felt gross. But, I recall having a string of bad dreams. How can our bodies sweat when we sleeping?

Thank you Susan!

16 oz of sweat!! Yikes! Wow! No wonder we really need to focus on buying new mattresses every few years and using a mattress pad cover :-)

Thank you for the information!

Hi Kristin

Thanks for your question. 

We all sweat at night - a lot. Up to one pound of body weight in a night - that's 16oz of sweat! This is why we tend to be at our lightest weight in the morning. 

We do not hydrate our bodies at night because we're sleeping. That be up to 10 hours (if we're lucky!). 

Poor sleep hygiene can also contribute to sweating - sleeping with bright lights on, too many blankets or a warm room. 

Nightmares cause our bodies anxiety - even shock. The body reacts by sweating - known as a "cold sweat" - I'm sure you have heard the expression as this happening when someone is under duress.  I agree, it's very unpleasant to wake up to. 

This is likely what happened when you had your nightmares. 

I hope you sleep better tonight! 

Sleepwalking Guide