Q: 

Why does even 5 minutes of sun cause headache - and 10 mins cause nausea?

My husband gets a pretty severe headache when in the sun for only 4-5 minutes, sometimes even with a baseball cap on but definitely when he is hatless. Today he was outside for about 4 minutes for a fire drill at work and his headache formed in 4 minutes of sun exposure.

20 or more minutes causes nausea and an hour, even with a baseball cap, can cause vomiting. Our summers are pretty hot and sunny (yay for me, nay for him!). I am wondering why this extreme reaction to sun happens? He did not grow up in a place with hot summers but I didn't either and I don't have this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous

why my child have head ache when he outside the sun and also have pain on both side of the head

Anonymous

I too have same issue, I'm from South India summer will be terrible I used to play entire summer more than 8hrs a day but no issue then. But for 4years I'm suffering can't be in sun for more than a minute headache will start. No remedy still now

Anonymous

First of all check the blood pressure. If its low than it could be low potassium. Drink lots of water, electrolytes before going oitside. That helps me.

Anonymous

I am 21 years Indian girl. I have been living in the most hottest state of India from one year of my birth, though born in the 2nd most colder state of India. I have brown eyes( color changes from light brown to dark brown). I have been getting migraine since 2011 but in 2012 I discovered the main causes that are exposer to sunlight, sun-heat, cold environment, caffeine, cheese, tomatoes etc. I ignored the triggers and keep going in sun due to my fitness freak attitude. Things got worse and migraines started lasting for a week, occurring thrice in a month. I consulted many doctors till 2016, and then I came across ayurveda because allopathic medicines were creating heath issues, though ayurvedic medicines cured migraine 99%. I still get migraine if I eat any triggered eatable or expose myself to sunlight or cold breeze/environment. Summers are hottest in my state, so I avoid going out, I take shower after coming home, I wear scarf(cover my face and head with it), glares and always carry umbrella with me and apply suncream of 45-50spf. I drink lots of cooling smoothies, juices and also eat fruits and salad with high water content. Many medicinal plants herbs, spices are found in India, so I boil their leaves or small raw piece or powdered form in water and drink it as a tea. So finally things are on track now except sunlight-heat issue which is 50% cured because I have always ignored it but from last year, I have started focusing on it. I hope that you will also find some remedies for your husband. Watching our loved ones in pain is very painful.
Greetings From India
SSV

Thank you for your post SSV. I suffer from the same thing. I agree with you that ayurvedic medicines is the way to go. Can you please be detailed and tell me what works for you? Also, for me, if I go into the pool or go swimming and immerse my head in cold water, I no longer have the headache and nausea. It's good to know that I am not alone.

Anonymous

Hello, I wonder if somebody got a diagnosis of this problem and what is the origin of it. Like other people in the post I come from a warm country and I don't think this is relevant however I feel is worse now that I leave in UK, perhaps sun/warm temperature combined with low pressure aggravate it? I wanted to share that I have another condition and I wonder who else also has it. This is called Photic sneeze reflex, sneezing when looking at bright lights or sun. This is really bothering me as the headaches are unavoidable even if I expose myself to the sun only 15 minutes a day. Thanks

Anonymous

i get this same thing . does not take much time to feel sick, even if the sun just shines on my skin alone. ether i get doctors who dont believe me or dont understand what im saying. summer is a real issue mostly also seems to be the hotter it is the quicker it happens.
i half to avoid hotter days or hours ,sun exposure if able and use pretty good high level spf sunscreen.
iv also found iv got a really sensitive immune system and skin which makes some sunscreens unable to be used or i get reactions. closest thing i been told is im sensitive to the sun ray or heat.
frustrating yes but i try to avoid it, headaches are so bad with sun exposure.

Anonymous

He's probably a vampire.

Anonymous

I have The same problem. I read it may be a reaction of particles in the eye to the light or the straining of the eyes which causes the headache . I found what helps me is the wide hat and sunglasses put on before I exit the house, I also shouldn't look at the light going inside the room through the windows (wearing sunglasses or closing curtains). If the headaches start it may last for a couple days

Anonymous

I wonder if the color of your eyes pre disposes you to a light/photo sensitivity?
I mean lighter colored eyes.
I dont have this problem but I know of a friend who does & her eyes are very lightly colored.
Just a though. Might not be anything.

Tags:

Headache

Headache Guide