Why does my lower abdomen ache?

I have been having menstrual-like cramps for 4 days (my period is 6 days late and I am SURE I am not pregnant!) I have been taking Aleve (which is unusual for me). The Aleve has helped except for 2 nights ago when the pain got increasingly worse (to the point that I felt nauseous.) I also had a large loose stool. My stomach pain "let up" a little but I still felt tender. I am afraid I may have cancer. I cannot have a pelvic exam because I am PETRIFIED (please do not tell me it is not that bad, I am 31 and never had one I did try to have one a few years back and "freaked out" so badly he had to stop and just let me go home. I would need to be sedated and nobody is willing to do this. HELP!!!

Thanks so much for finding EmpowHer!

You do need to see your doctor. He or she may recommend any kind of testing but I would think that a pap is going to be necessary.

I am going to tell you that it's not bad at all (don't get mad!) because what you are suffering from is a mental block against pap tests and not a physical one. Anyone who is extremely tense and stressed about paps is going to find them very difficult and you are correct - you won't be sedated for one (and if anyone says they will do it for you, do NOT go to them for healthcare services).

You may not have cancer at all - you may actually have something wrong with your gastro-intestinal area instead. But if you have never had a pap smear at the age of 31 (if you are a virgin it's less serious but if you had been or are sexually active, a pap is crucial).

You may also have some kind of blockage or a cyst.

One other thing is that your appendix may be infected or about to burst. Nausea, loose stools and extreme pain are very symptomatic of this and this is something that can be dangerous and needs immediate attention.

You can do something like meditation or Yoga or try hypnosis to help with your fears of a pap test but it IS something you will ultimately have to have done.

Please place a call to your doctor straight away and ask to be seen. Explain your fears to them so that they know what to expect when they see you but you do need to see a doctor about this.

Please let me know what happens and update us ASAP. I'll be looking out for your post,