ask: Why does my lower abdomen hurt?

I have a pain in my lower abdomen that feels like it does before I start my period. The only thing is I am not supposed to start for another seven days. This pain is much more intense than I am used to. It seems to get worse and feels tight when I need to urinate and afterwards the pain subsides for a few minutes and the tightness goes away. I also feel like my lower back is very tight and this seems to make the pain in my abdomen slightly worse from time to time. Is there anything you can tell me that could be causing this pain? I am getting a little worried and unfortunately right now I cannot afford to go to a doctor. Thank you for any insight you may have.

Anonymous

My name is Jackie and my question is , I haven't had my period like for 1year I'm 33 years old 3 day's ago I started my period it came right when I was having sex.but is bean very strong I have to change tampon every 4hr and I'm having pain in my lower stomach why is this happening to me can you help me please with a advice it will help alot thank you

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello Jackie,

Please consult your gynecologist. Not having a menstrual period for one year would indicate that you have entered menopause. But, since you have started having a heavy vaginal flow with lower stomach pain is puzzling and needs to be evaluated by a physician.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

thank you maryann , I started looking for a doctor now, i dint have one sense I hate going to the doctors. but menopause it scares me a little because I want to be a mom I don't have kids so menopause makes me think I can never have kids you scared me so I'm taking action now I'm just waiting to get approved by Kaiser thank you very much I appreciate.

Anonymous

Hi , I just had my period couple days ago it usually lasts 3 days this time it took 5 days . And my lower stomach still hurts and it never happened before what can it be ? Añd some times i feel light headed

Anonymous

me and my boyfriend didn't have sex. but he accidentally put some cum in my organ, it happened in dec 6, then my period comes in dec 22-29 but i think i bleed again in dec 30-31 what does that mean [spottings and mens occur]? and why does my lower abdomen hurts Now? am i pregnant? [i washed my organ later that day] i constipated and vomit to because of some irritation in my throat. Btw happy new year. GodBless~!

Anonymous

Hi,, Iv been notcing that im gaining wieght on my lower stomach very fast and its only been a lil over 2 weeks since iv had unprotected sex. and i had my period right before..is it my stomach still soar from my period or what ?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It sounds like you are probably ovulating right now (your fertile period so don't have sex if you don't want to get pregnant). If you had your period right after sex, then you are not pregnant.

You might also be a little bit constipated or have some indigestion too.

Hello Kitty (reply to Susan Cody)

Hey, :] Last dec 6 me nd my boyfriend didn't have sex but he accidentally put some cum in my organ then i washed it afterwards. then my period comes in dec 23-29[with spottings] then i spot again in dec 30-31 but with mens, then late night in NEW YEAR im constipated then vomit all i eat because my neck is irritated. and now my lower abdomen is hurting. i vomit days before my mens. my previous mens is NOV 23 and its exactly 1 month then my mens came :P

Anonymous

Hi
The past few days I've been having lower abdominal pain on and off. I'm irregular with my period and if I'm going on a regular schedule I'm on day 28 and still no period. No problem urinating or bowel movements. We've been trying for another baby but no luck.

It sounds like your period is on it's way but it could also be pregnancy - both mimic each other in terms of early symptoms.

You can take a test to see where you stand. I hope you get some very happy news soon!

Anonymous

Hi ,
I've been having a pain in my lower abdomen and its doesn't hurt a lot but I've been very gassy. I don't not have pain when urinating and my lower back hurts. it feelings like i am going to start my period but i haven't had it yet. I took the pill the next choice but since i took it I've been having pain. I hope its nothing serious.
Thanks

In a clinical trial of women women taking Next Choice, 13.3% experienced lower abdominal pain as a side effect. To learn more about this clinical trial, visit http://www.drugs.com/pro/next-choice.html.

Anonymous

Please help, Last month i contracted Chlamydia and i got prompt treatment for it, it went away. From the chlamydia i then contracted a PID, i got treatment for that and was cleared from it with antibiotics.
When i stopped taking the antibiotics i lost all hunger and have not felt like eating at all, i can get by with one cookie in a day and i'll feel full, my lower abdommin is in pain and i am having nausea and peeing excessively (i used to pee once or twice a day) now its 4 or more times a day and i never drink anything. I thought i was pregnant but then i got my period right on schedual. Is this just reaction to the antibiotics i took or is there something really serious? Please help, i just want my health back )':

It's difficult to say but you may have another infection or sexually transmitted disease - please go back to your doctor, explain your symptoms and your doctor may test you further.

Anonymous

ok so the lower part of my stomach has been hurting and my vaginas been bleeding and this has been going on for about a month now on and off,i do not have a period every since 3 years ago when i got the mirena,and sometimes when my stomach hurt it hurts to where when i have to sit down i have to be easy because i feel pressure.i just was worried about the bleeding and stuff because i have no idea why i could be bleeding or why i would be hurting like this and bleeding,what should i do and what is this?

Your Mirena could have perforated your uterus, please get this seen to ASAP.

Anonymous

hello,
it hurts when I pee and after. the pain will start from my navel down to my lower abdomen and then travel to to my vagina. it started a few days back but the pain is now very unbearable. please help.

It sounds like you might have a urinary tract infection - you need to have this treated straight away so that it doesn't lead to a kidney infection. Please make an appointment asap.

Anonymous

Anonymous,
Hello, my lower abdomen has been tight for a couple days now and I dont know what to do about it. I'm a very active person and I workout and lift weights every day. Is not a gas bubble for sure but it does hurt like a muscle has been torn when I move it. I'm just gettin worried about it cuz I don't want it to be anythin serious. I haven't started my period yet southern which is another thing I'm worried about. Thanks!

Anonymous

Hello! So, me and my boyfriend were having sex and the condom broke without us knowing and he went inside me.. Maybe an hour later I went and got the plan B pill. That happened maybe a week before my period was supposed to start. Last month I started on Nov. 3 but i missed that date this month, and I haven't started yet. I'm starting to really freak out but me and my friends ALWAYS are on the same cycle every month and they haven't started yet either... advice please :(

Plan B is about 92% effective so your risk is low. However, since you are late for your period, it's a good idea to take a pregnancy test.

Anonymous

My back been really hurting me for the last three days but today i started to feel really bad pains in my lower abdomen and i havent had a normal period since june but i dont think im pregnant becuhz i always had changing period but i just dont no wats wrong with me

You may have some sort of virus that is causing your pain - perhaps it's in your digestive tract - it may have nothing to do with your period before. Lower back pain is very common - it could be from poor posture, a strain or many other reasons.

If you don't see an improvement with either within a week, please see a doctor.

Anonymous

Hello,
I was doing some research and ran across this post. I have a question. Ok, I've been having this semi-nagging pain in my lower right abdomen for northwards of 2 months now. It's not constant some days it is worse than others. Here recently it has started to become far more painful than it use to be though. My lower abdomen constantly feels like there is something going on, like digestion or cramping or gas or something. It only hurts when the pain in my lower abdomen gets almost unbearable. The pain will subside for days or weeks at a time and then just come back. The past couple of days it has started hurting the most when I walk, just walking the dogs or going up and down the stairs at work or walking down the hall to the bathroom and sometimes just standing in general. I have had UTI's before and kidney stones, but it does not feel like the same thing as either of those. It doesn't hurt to pee or anything, but the constant motion in my lower abdomen always makes me think i need to go to the bathroom or something, but when I go I just pee a little and that's it. My bowels are pretty regular for the most part. I hate going to see doctors more than anything in the world, and I know that is going to be what is suggested. Can you give me any heads up of what it initially might sound like before I go seek medical attention. I DO NOT want to finally break down and see a doctor for him to tell me i have gas or something stupid! Thank you so much!!
~"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." Anthony J. D'Angelo

I had something very similar for about 5-6 months and ended up getting a scan to make sure all was well. It was, but I increased my fiber intake (by nearly doubling it) and the pain went away. Even if you have regular bowel movements, this is something you may want to consider.

But also know that pain is actually your friend - a signal that something may be wrong. If this continues, it's advisable to get a checkup. Gas may not be "stupid" - it may be an indicator of something being wrong with your digestive system. You also may have an unknown condition with your reproductive system like a painful cyst. 

Anonymous

Well, I had sex around like 2 weeks ago, then also 3 days ago(5 days ago) wasn' protect, we did the pull out metho.yesterday I woke up with a runny nose and a huge headache. And the my lower abdomenal starting hurting along with my back I'm constantly gasey and it's sorta hard tO poo but also, lately a sickness has been going round like the stomachs flu it causes them to throw up and have diaia.. What's wrong with me?

ok this has been going on about a month but i have not had a period in like 3 years every since i had my son and got the mirena,but all of a sudden the lower part of my stomach starts hurting, to where i have to sit down slow cause it hurts to sit down i feel pressure and i started bleeding and its was like this for a week and its been on and off like that for a month now what do i do?what could it be?

It does sound like you have a bad cold. And in future, use condoms so pregnancy isn't a concern. I hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous

I have very bad pain in my low abdomen. I feels worse than any period I have ever had. I haven't had a period for several years due to my IUD. What could be causing this pain?

Lower abdominal pain could mean anything from an issue with your reproductive system, to your digestive system or any other number of things. If you are in this sort of pain, you need to see your doctor for a full evaluation.  There is also a possibility that your IUD may have perforated or is falling out and this needs immediate medical attention.

Please keep us posted!

~Susan

Anonymous

I just recently had unprotected sex and I just went off the nuva ring 2 weeks before.. I was roughly around my overvaluation time...The guy did not ejaculate inside of me...It was my first time having unprotected sex and since then my lower abdomen has been hurting and cannot not seem to be full when I eat. It hurts when I walk, pee, poop anything that has to do with down there...Could I be pregnant? I only had sex 3 days ago and am not excepting my period for another 2 or so weeks! What is wrong?

It's far too early to tell if you are pregnant but you may have contracted an infection or disease from your partner that you need to get checked out. I'm not saying you have one; it's just a suggestion your genitals are in pain and it hurts to urinate. You also may have a UTI which needs to be evaluated; these can lead to serious kidney infections.You can test for pregnancy in as little as 10 days.

~Susan

Anonymous

I recently had sex with my boyfriend, and he didn't cum..we used protection. And I'm having bad pulling on my lower abdomin. It hurts when I pee ... Any help?? I'm 14...

Anonymous

I have been having pain in my lower abdomen... It's not my period bc I had it about a week ago... I also feel like it's bloated... I'm very scared bc sometimes the pains are strong...Please if anybody has any ideas what it might be...

Because pain in the "lower abdomen" and "bloating" could mean many things, you need to see a doctor. These symptoms could mean you have gastro-intestinal problems, something wrong with your reproductive organs or even food allergies. Or something else entirely.

~Susan

Anonymous

I have been on the pill for about a year and a half. last month I had a accedent where I had "drunk" unprotected sex on the last day before my sugar pills started. I did not take my pill the day I had unprotected sex because I did not go home. I got me period on the friday like I usually do. My period came 3 days after the night I had sex, it was short and light.Which is not usual. I took a pregnancy test 6 days after the night I had unprotected sex and it was negative. I am still nervouse because I am sleepy. I also belive I have a UTI but i dont want to mistaken that for pregnancy.help?

Anonymous

You have cramps. Quit complaining. I have pancreatic cancer.

Anonymous

I have the same problem I was on depo about 8 months ago u had a period 2 months ago and not since my abodem hurting bad an pain n my back what's wrong

mrscorino1990

I've never actually seen a doctor that took me seriously. I don't have ovarian cysts. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when I was 13. But the tumors have been gone for 5 years. After radiation, things were fine. I've been in remission ever since. My obgyn has done tons of tests to figure out my cycle. She's sending me to a reproductive endocrynologist on the 25th of this month to find out how to slow my cycle without using birth control.
Right after my post, I started spotting. Which is unusual for me. I'm barely filling a "light" tampon. I usually bleed rather heavily for 10 out of the 14 days in my cycle.

mrscorino1990

I have been experiencing tightness in my lower abdomen. Mostly on my left side. I went to the ER a while ago and they told me my stomach was distended. I visitied my doctor and he did additional scans which suggest that my stomach is not distended. I have been trying to conceive for the past 9 months. I was just wondering if these cramps could possibly be implantation cramps? My period is very irregular, so I can't tell if it's pre-menstrual or other? Irregular meaning, I usually get it twice a month, not usually around the same time and sometimes not at all for months at a time. I'm not having problems urinating or having bowel movements. I'm not on birth control.

Alison Beaver (reply to mrscorino1990)

Do you have a doctor you trust? It sounds like you are receiving different diagnoses, and if you have an extremely irregular period, I'm wondering if you have talked with your doctor about any type of testing to determine the cause to having extremely short cycles (two periods per month). If you are having pain and frequent periods, please talk with a gynecologist about testing for possible cysts or other medical conditions (to rule these out as possibilities).

Women do not typically have implantation cramps as you are experiencing; if a woman does feel implantation...it would be very slight cramp for a very short amount of time (an hour).

If you continue experiencing cramping and the pain becomes more severe, please call your doctor or go to the E.R. again. If you are trying to conceive, have not had your period this cycle (when was your last menstrual period?), you could have other medical complications that would need to be ruled out (ectopic pregnancy, for example). Not to alarm you--- just want to make sure you know that the word "cramping" can be anything from gas pains, menstrual cramps or medical condition that needs attention. Please do not consider it implantation cramping if it becomes more severe (any feeling from implantation would subside over an hour or two; not become more severe).

Please let us know how you are doing!

misvives HERWriter Guide

If you are in pain, you should seek medical assistance immediately. The symptoms you explain could certainly be pre-menstrual related as some months can be excruciating while others may not be as bad. If the pain does not subside in a few days, I would go to the doctor.

I hope this helps and keep us posted.
Missie

Anonymous

I need serious advice. For the last week my left lower abdomen is so sore and my lower tummy is swelling and my breast are terribly sore but I've take 2 home pregnancy teat both we're negative what do I do??

auequestrian95

i had many tests done. i had blood work also and a urinalysis. they said my chest hurt because i got diagnosed with a bad chest virus. and my stomach hurt from a kidney infection. so they put me on antibiotics.

Alison Beaver (reply to auequestrian95)

Thank you for the additional information.

It is important to follow-up with your doctor, to make sure the "bad chest virus" has cleared, as well as your kidney infection.

I am not sure why you are wanting "leads" on what possibly could be wrong, as the most reasonable conclusion would be you have lingering symptoms from your kidney infection or other virus that has not completely been treated. You may just need a second round of treatments, and to make sure the infections have not become more severe.

Please call your doctor to talk about your lingering symptoms (if they do not hear from you, they assume your symptoms are improved or gone).

Let us know when your appointment is scheduled, and please keep us updated.

auequestrian95 (reply to Alison Beaver)

thank you so much. i have called my doc and i am goen to see her next week. i will keep u updated

auequestrian95

my period isnt due for another about 5 weeks. i just had mine. so i know its not that. it doesnt feel like anything ive ever felt before and i just wanna have some leads on what i may have or what may be wrong with me. please let me know

Alison Beaver (reply to auequestrian95)

auequestrian95 ,
When you went to the ER, what diagnostic testing was done, before you were given medicine for the pain? What were the doctor's recommendations--to follow up with your regular doctor?

It is important to go to your regular doctor and have all of your symptoms discussed, as well as testing conducted that can properly diagnose the possible cause to your pain. We can only speculate as to what the pain could be caused from; you need tests done for your specific situation.

Please let us know what the test results are!

Anonymous

i have pain in my lower stomach it feels like it does before my period but my period was a week ago and it hurts more when i have to go to the bathroom bm's are normal my back does not hurt but i have been drinkin alot more water this past week any ideas what it could b im 18 and african american if that helps and i do not take any meds or birth control i do workout but this doent feel like a workout burn/hurt

auequestrian95

my entire abdomen has been hurting really badly lately. i dont know why either, i went to the doctors (ER) a few weeks ago and i was put on an IV and they gave me meds for the pain. but lately nothing has been working. i seriously dont know what is wrong. i have a bunch of symptoms and i dont know if they mean something. if you could respond to maybe give me some advice or even just respond. that would be great. thank you so much.

Anonymous

i have just finished ovulating and trying to get pregnant i,m 42yrs old my lower abdomen feels tight and uncomfortable got a slight dull ache too , all bowel movements are fine and no problems passing urine , i had tests done but was told my uterus is healthy but i,m still getting the same feelings every month they are really annoying my periods are at times irregular and heavy

Anonymous

I also have pain in my lower abdomen. I was wondering if it might be pregnancy related. I had the most painful breasts, sorest nipples, strangest diet... I missed a few birth control pills. Once I resumed taking them, my period was on time but really heavy the first 2 days and was over by day 3. Normally, my cycle is 5 days like clockwork for years now. Thought I was back to normal but still have pain in my lower abdomen and pressure during intercourse as well as low back pain. My breasts are starting to get sore again and I am still 2 weeks until menses. Am I pregnant? Or did I hurt myself somehow? I don't have insurance or even enough money for a doctors visit so at this time that is not an option.

I am having the same problem as you only difference is my breasts are itching like crazy

Anonymous

I am having the same problem. My lower abdomen hurts so bad and gets worse when I have to use the bathroom. It's starting to scare me reading some of the things I've seen. I will be seeing a doctor in a couple days to see what is going on. I will post again when I find out what it is

Anonymous

I am having a very very bad pain on my lower abdomen too, today is my fifth day of menses, usually i have that pain on the 1st and 2nd day and goes away after I sleep but this pain is exaserbating. the pulling sensation and gets worse when I stand. plz help.it's not a kidney problem i guess cause my back don't hurt, i dont know what to do now:(

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

If you were on your menses, this could be why you were having lower abdomen pain. It could be cramps or the bloating due to water retention that we get when we have our period. It sometimes feels like a stretching or pulling sensation along with the cramping. But I wonder if you've been exercising lately too? Since you mentioned it getting worse when you stand-- it sounds like when the muscle stretches.

Have you taken anything for the pain? If so, has it helped any? How have you been feeling lately?

Anonymous (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hello, the place where my stomach and intestines are, really hurts, and I tried going to the bathroom, but nothing happened. I am really worried, and my period just stopped yesterday for some odd reason, when my mother said it was supposed to stop in a few days. I always excersize, and I have been walking a lot yesterday, and the day before that. My parents won't pay for a doctor, and I really don't know what to do. This is urgent!
Thank you for your help,
Anna

Anonymous

i feel the same ,,my lower abdomen hurts but also.. my nippels hurt why do you think is happening...i have been drinking a lot of water.. do you think that is the cause of it...

sounds like pregnant

Anonymous

Possibly kidney infection due to an untreated uti...

Anonymous

wow

Thanks for replying. I would still urge you to see a doctor because you have your ovaries in the front and kidneys on the back.
The only time I would think that pain in your lower abdomen and back are normal are if you have been exercising and you're sore or if you are cramping from your menstrual cycle.
Tylenol will mask the pain but I would also advise that you take it only when necessary because of it's link to liver damage. It's okay to take it, just remember not to exceed the recommended 4 grams per day.

Sorry that I couldn't help you any more! But I urge you to get yourself checked out. :-)

Beautynchaos,
Thank you for your post. I have a few questions for you: Do you have painful urination as well? Like a burning sensation when you pee? If not, are you on any form of birth control? and have you had regular bowel movements?

It can be a list of possibilities based on your pain symptoms and I don't know your previous history to be able to provide you with just 1 answer (hence all of my questions). Please get back to us with answers to those questions as well as any other pertinent information you feel that we should know.

I know that you don't want to hear to go to the doctor, but sometimes bowel obstructions can cause a cramp-like pain that tends to come and go-- but if this is what you have you need to see a doctor asap. Please write back soon!

Thanks :-)

beautynchaos (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

No painful urination, bowel movements are normal, and not on birth control. Everything is normal except for the pain in the lower abdomen and the pain in the lower back. Last night I took tylenol and the pain seemed to go away. This morning I woke up with a little bit of tightness but otherwise fine.

Thanks

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: