Why does my nipple sting after swimming in the ocean?

I went swimming a couple of days ago and after a while in the water my right nipple started to sting. The pain went away after a couple of hours but when I took a shower it started to sting again. The pain went away but came back when I took a shower the next day. I also noticed the edge of the nipple was darker and looked like it was a scab. I am 22 years old and not pregnant.

I had the same thing on holidays during the Summer, it never happens in swimming pools just the sea.

Welcome to EmpowHER.  Some of the causes of Nipple pain can be hormonal, an injury to the breast, dry skin and many other conditions.  If the pain continues more then a week, It's important to see a doctor and explain your symptoms.  

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide