Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Sexual Health

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Sexual Health Guide

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!

EmpowHER Guest

ask: Why does my vagina have a sour taste/smell?

By Anonymous
Rate This

I'm 18 years old. My vagina smells and tastes sour. This is very unusual for me, as this is not how my vagina normally tastes. My discharge has also been white and somewhat milky looking. I've been having unprotected sex, could it be an STD? or maybe just an infection? The smell gets stronger and is almost unbearable after sexual intercourse.

Add a Comment6 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Banana75, it may also be pelvic floor spasms. My symptoms were very similar to yours; I thought I was getting menstrual cramps when I wasn't pregnant and I wasn't getting my period either. If your STI and pregnancy tests show up negative, if the antibiotics for PID don't work, and you're having what you think are menstrual cramps without your period coming, the best thing to do is go to a physiatrist and ask for a pelvic EMG test. Pelvic floor spasms are treated with physical therapy which you can also ask your doctor about.

April 1, 2012 - 9:01pm
Maryann Gromisch RN Guide

Hello Banana75,
It sounds like you might have bacterial vaginosis. Bacterial vaginosis is the most common type of vaginal infection and is caused by an overgrowth in your vagina of (anaerobic) bacteria that do not need oxygen to survive. This infection occurs when the balance of naturally occurring bacteria is upset and the anaerobic bacteria overgrow.

The outward signs may include a foul or fishy vaginal odor and a clear, white or gray vaginal discharge. The discharge may be light or heavy. The odor may get worse around the time of menstruation or after unprotected sexual intercourse. When semen mixes with vaginal secretions, the odor becomes stronger. The vagina may also be itchy and/or may burn.

You need to be examined by your doctor to determine if indeed you do have bacterial vaginosis. If you have it, your doctor will prescribe either an oral medication or cream or gel to insert into your vagina with an applicator.

Please see your doctor. Bacterial vaginosis can increase your risk of getting pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) which is a serious pelvic infection.


March 27, 2012 - 5:51pm

I am 20, me and my boyfriend are also having unprotected sex, for the last two years. This is the second time this has occured. I am having milky white discharge and during/after sex it has a vey weird smell. Whats wrong with me? I cramp as though my period was coming and it may be 2 weeks maybe more, away. A few times i remeber whiping after using the restroom and i spotting a small dot of blood on the tissue. I took a home pregnacy test maybe march 19th it was negative. My period is not due till the 4th of april. now I wonder if I tested to soon or if my boyfriend has chated an i have an STD. He has not mention any signs and im afraid to bring (STD) up and maybe cause concern untill im sure. Answers are very needed.

March 27, 2012 - 4:26pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Banana75)

I have had these symptoms and when I went to the doctor I had chlamydia. I had the milky discharge, cramping, and spotting. You have had it for sometime, these symptoms occur after a while. Go get tested it can cause you to be sterile (unable to have children).

March 30, 2012 - 9:17am

i understand how it feels to be young but being you and having unprotect sex can be harmful and dangerous i am 25 years old listen to me please go to the clinic you and this partner of your because he may had sex with someone else besides you and if it is an std you don't now how long you could have had it

August 30, 2010 - 4:03pm
Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Anon - There could be a number of reasons for this, including bacterial vaginosis. You need to be seen and treated by a medical professional, and should not let this go. Are you able to do that? Pat

August 19, 2010 - 5:45pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


1880 Health


775 Lives


644 Lives
5 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

Do you think sex gets better as you age? :
View Results