ask: Why my 17 year old doesn't get her period anymore?

By franinfl

My daughter is 17. she started her period at 15. she bled for 3 month's straight. i took her to the doctor's and put her on birth control pills which made her stop. ok, good. but then she never got her period again so we stopped the pills. got her blood checked and that came back good,so my thing is what could be stopping her from having it? she's never had a regular period. one month she did bleed and after that nothing.

Anonymous

i am 18 years old and my problem is i have irregular periods 3 years... there is always 2-3 months gap ... iam very tensed... plz do rply ...

Anonymous

Hello my name is Cassidy and I am 18. I started my period when I was 14 almost 15 and it was regular for a few months. I am NOT sexually active and then it stopped and the longest it's gone without having it is 6-8 months and I have never been on birth control. My family has a long history of cancer so I am not allowed to take birth control. Does anyone know what's going on?

Anonymous

Did you get your period already? Im 17 and this is my 36th day without a period

Anonymous

hi ,i m 17 age
i had my regular periods every month but this time i cross 41 days but i not had my periods i m very panic don,t know what i will do .when my periods will come ,and what ihave to do?
shreya.

Anonymous

Well im 17 . . .I havent had my period for 4 years when I was 14 I have no idea why I seen doctors at age 16 they gave me pills then birth control at first It was working but then it stopped again . . .I dont know whats wrong . . .im healthly im overweight though 5"5 and 240 lbs. im still a virgin also . .does anyone know whats wrong with me?

Anonymous

HI im 17 im not sexually active i havent had a period in a year then it came bacl but after having my period for a day it stops and another year goes by whats wrong with me?

Anonymous

I'm ninteen years old & have never had a normal period.. like your daughter, i bled ridiculously for a period of time.. mine was only a month & a half until i couldn't take it any longer. I was fifteen at the time. I get chronic headaches/migraines at least five times a week, I think probably due to the fact that my hormones are obviously not in any kind of balance.
I went to the gyno & instead of doing any tests, he put on birth control & never figured out what was wrong with me. my body started rejecting the birth control, yasmin, after two years; i stopped taking any birth control & never got a period.. when i went back, he put me on the nuva ring for whatever reason, and my body didn't like that one either. He then put me on loseasonique, which gives you a period every three months, and that made me sick.. after all of these, he then told me he thinks i have polycystic ovaries. Frustrated, I switched doctors because I was so tired of all this. My new doctor ran every test in the book, and they couldn't give me answers either.

Moral of my story, I have been reccommended by my current doctor to see a reproductive endocrinologist because she is out of ideas. Another thing she told me, was that I could be put on a mini pill which, from what I understand, just keeps your hormones in check & makes you lose the lining of your uterus like it should, because without getting a period the lining builds up & could be very dangerous & cause cancer in later years.

I hope this was helpful. & I hope your daughter gets/ or has gotten answers.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - Thanks for your comments, and welcome to EmpowHER. It's sad to read about what you've already been through at such a young age and that you're still in a search for solid answers about your health. Let us know how your appointment goes with the endocrinologist, and if we can help you with any questions you may have afterwards. It's good to see you so well informed and advocating on your own behalf, and we're here to provide additional support if you need it.
Take care,
Pat

Anonymous

Hi im 19 and i have the same problem your doughter has.. i been to the doctor but i only get my period if im on birth control. and i got mine when i was 15 had a period 3 months and then the doctor put me on birth control and never got it back .. idk why concerns me because i would like to have kids..im not sexually active but its something i would like whenever i get merried and would like to know does anyone know if you can even become pragnant if in our case we dont have a period?... i get headaches and everything like if i was on my period but im not..someone plz help me!! idk what to do im scared !! im not gonna be able to have my own family!!!
-Nia-

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Nia,

What you have is called amenorrhea, which means absence of menstruation.

It IS possible to get pregnant with amenorrhea, but you need to know if you're ovulating or not. If you aren't ovulating, you can't get pregnant. And if you are ovulating, you can get pregnant but it may be hard to know when in your cycle to try for a baby.

We have a great EmpowHer page on amenorrhea:

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/amenorrhea-0#definition

And here's some information from that page:

Primary amenorrhea occurs if an adolescent female has not yet begun menstruation by around age 16 or so. Secondary amenorrhea describes a condition in which a woman who has previously menstruated on a regular basis misses three or more periods in a row. In the United States, amenorrhea affects between 2-5% of women.

In nonpregnant women, amenorrhea may result from a variety of factors, including an existing medical condition, lifestyle, emotional distress, hormonal irregularity, or medication. Every effort should be made to determine the exact cause. Specific causes of amenorrhea include:

◦Dramatic weight loss, particularly from drastic diets, eating disorders including anorexia and bulimia , or excessive exercise
◦Dramatic weight gain or morbid obesity
◦Malnourishment
◦Birth defects including lack of a uterus, vagina, or other reproductive organs
◦Medical conditions including cystic fibrosis , Cushing's disease , polycystic ovary , or Prader-Willi syndrome
◦Psychological stress—can lead to a hormonal imbalance sufficient to cause amenorrhea.
◦Medications—some antidepressants, chemotherapeutics, corticosteroids, certain contraceptives.
◦Chromosomal abnormalities
◦Hermaphroditism (having both male and female reproductive organs)
◦Pituitary tumor
◦Thyroid dysfunction
◦Uterine scarring

That page also talks about diagnosis, treatment and prevention.

Have you seen your doctor in the last year or so? Has she or he talked with you about possible causes of your amenorrhea and whether any testing should be done?

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: