Why is my period lasting two weeks plus?

By Anonymous March 24, 2015 - 1:53am

I have a 20 month old baby who stopped nursing in December. My period came back just a few days after we stopped nursing. This is the third month of my period lasting over 2 weeks.

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for seeking our advice with your concern of a prolonged period once you stopped breast feeding.

Women do experience changes in their menstrual cycles and periods once they stop breast feeding. The changes vary from woman to woman.

Blame it on hormones. Your body is readjusting. However, I am concerned that your periods are lasting over two weeks and this pattern is continuing for the third month. There is a concern for iron deficiency anemia caused by prolonged blood loss.

Anonymous, please consult your obstetrician. Keep us updated on what your doctor says.