Why is my period so late?

By July 31, 2009 - 8:30am

I've heard many times that stress can really delay your period or in some cases make you skip it completely. But could that be the case for me? Usually my cycle is an average of 26-29 days inbetween my periods. I'm 16 and I've had my period for about 4 years now, and except for the first year my periods have been regular. Each month I'm able to track it pretty well when I should be starting. My last period I had started on June 28, making my next one due July 26 (For the av. 28 day cycle). Well, it's July 31st and still no period. I've never been late on a period before so that's what I can't understand.

My guess is that is HAS to be stress related. Someone I knew and was really close to had tried committing suicide and was really close to dying. (He's doing much better & out of the hospital now. So I don't need to worry over that much) And also this month I've had to deal with a lot of fighting my mom and her boyfriend have been doing around the house, Going to the dentist's office twice (I've got a huge fear of dentists) and the stresses of trying to STOP stressing out so much. If that makes sense.

I'm really worried about this. I don't know if it's because of pregnancy or not. I have never had sex before, but a few times this month my boyfriend has fingered me. I think the chances are slim to nothing that I could be pregnant but from what I know there was no semen involved touching me in any way. Even if there was, what are my chances? So far I've not had any pregnancy symptoms. No morning sickness, nausea, my breasts don't feel sore, I'm not eating/craving strange foods, Urination is normal and discharge is normal too. (I don't know if any of this has to do with anything)

I guess my problem is I tend to over-worry about a lot of things. But it's never effected my period before. If anyone could help me out here, give me some advice or anything in that manner I would greatly appreciate it. I would just like to know what's going on & if I'll ever get my period soon. I'm quite impatient and this is killing me!

- C

Hi! I am 16 and am almost a week late on my period. I am sexually active, but my boyfriend and I are EXTREMELY safe. One time when we were intimate the condom did break, but he imidiantly pulled out. I've also been exercising a lot lately and eating differently, and a lot of stress going on in my family and school right now. Can someone help me figure out what's going on?

I'm 16 too! I'm 6 days late on my period and I don't know what it could be. My boyfriend fingered me and I bled a little. I was 2 days late at the time but I haven't bled since then.

If you're not sexually active (intercourse with ejaculation) then pregnancy should not be an issue. Your period could be late for other reasons. Fingering will not get you pregnant.

I am 16 and my period is almost 15 days late. It is not possible that I could be pregnant bcoz I have never had sex of any kind. What could be the reason that it is delayed?

can stress be a big reason for late periods.....am 8 days late...helpppp...didnt have sex till date..

Yes, stress is a reason for irregularity.

I don't understand "didn't have sex till late"

if i finger myself with dried sperm am i pregg...am already a week late for periods...:( helppp...!! ASAP

HERWriter Guide (reply to andysixx)

Hi andysixx

If you are a week late you need to take a pregnancy test.

so heres my story...am 16 i did oral to him and swallowed....i am worried about pregnancy...my period is due on 30 and today its 5.....am i pregnant or just stress...i konw what i did is bad...:( am 5 days late...help!!!!!!

You can't get pregnant from swallowing sperm (?), I don't know if you're being serious or not.

Calm down, I'm sure your period will be along soon. Stress can change your cycle so remaining calm is important.