ask: why my shoulder STILL hurts after 2010 flu shot

I started this new share because I got the new flu shot 3 weeks ago- the one that contains the reg. flu and the H1N1 combined. I got it done at Walgreens. When the Dr (pharmacist, actually) put it in, it did not hurt. Even though it felt like it was in the bone and very high up. The actuall dispensing of the vaccine felt like it took longer than usual. Since then, my shoulder still hurts and I complain about it several times a day. I cannot sleep on it at night and everytime I roll over in bed, it wakes me (all night long). I have rec'd the flu shot for years and I never got this pain. For this reason, I will NOT be forcing my 10 yr old to get it because she could not tollerate this pain and would have missed many days of school thus far. Comments?

Anonymous

I had my shot 11/4/14. I am now recovering from surgery done 02/17/2015 as the result. When the resident at my doctors office injected the needle i noticed she was pretty high up on my arm near the top of my shoulder. She then when to plunge and nothing came out so while with the needle still in my arm she moved it and the fluid came out. I had he normal pain after, but after about 1-2 weeks I was in so much pain I could not lift my arm. I had gone back to the doctors had a xray and was told it looked fine in the xrays and to ice it and sleep in a chair. I could not sleep, i could not wash my hair, I was in so much pain I wanted to chop off my own arm. So I went to another orthopedic dr and he gave me a cortisone shot and sent me to physical therapy 12 times. Long story short after 12 pt and 2 cortisone shots and nothing helping I had surgery. He cleaned out the bursa and for the first time in almost 4 months I do not have that constant "charlie horse" feeling anymore thank god!!! Worst pain ever had in my life from a shot!!! Next year it will be nasal mist for me or nothing.....

I am so glad I found this post & your comment. For the first time, I feel somewhat hopeful that I can get rid of this pain. I got my flu shot in Sept 2014 & after a 5day round of steroids, a cortisone shot, & a dozen or so PT sessions, I gave up on thinking it would get better. I felt like the orthopedist & his PA thought I was bananas. They had never heard of anyone being injured from a shot. I never had an MRI done & now wish I had. The physical therapist just called it "shoulder impingement". My symptoms are exactly as you described. Have you filed a claim with the vaccine injury compensation program? I think that is my next step. I hope your recovery is swift! Was that surgery done with a scope?

jeni740 (reply to Anonymous)

I did file a claim after I had my surgery and was verified that it was from the flu shot. I was out of work just a couple weeks from the surgery. They made 3 incisions cleaned out the bursa and some other things. I am still in therapy and hope to be done in a few more weeks. I felt like I was crazy at first because no one thought I could have that much pain from the shot but I knew i did and I am so glad I had the surgery.

My surgery was done with the scope. I had 3 incisions made and they cleaned it out. It still hurts, but not like before. I am still in therapy and still have trouble sleeping on my right side. I do have a lawyer and hopefully it will help pay for my therapy and pain. I will have about 50 therapy copays at 25 bucks each time. Sucks to know a stupid mistake from a flu shot injection could do so much damage...

Anonymous

I to had a flue gab months ago and it is still very painful. It still hurts to lay on or touch. The nurse seem to throw at me saying you had this before not taking any care what so ever throwing at great speed like a dart. I'm in my 70's and suffer form very acute COPD.
I was knocked over by a car about 20 years ago that left me with damage spine and neck. I'm now in wheelchair as I cannot walk and only just stand only holding on to something. I fell I must have it again this year but frightened. Any help or comment please.

Anonymous

Went to a neurologist today for flu shot related pain in shoulder....now I'm finally getting some answers. Had flu shot in September 2014 and still having pain and mobility issues. Neurologist is leaning towards autoimmune disease caused by the vaccine. My symptoms were very similar to others I've seen online.

Look up SIRVA Caused by flu shot give to high up.

Just realized there is actually a name for what happened to me. It is called Serva. My doctor administered the flu vaccine too high up in the shoulder and I could actually have a damaged nerve from that. I felt so much pain and discomfort that I went to a neurologists, who told me there was nothing wrong with my sholder. This happened about 5 years ago. I still feel discomfort.

Anonymous

This is so frustrating, I got the flu shot on February 12, 2015, the next day my shoulder started hurting so bad, I shrugged it off since some say your arm will hurt for a few days after the shot. Not to mention I have had like 10 in my life and never had a problem. The pain started to get so bad, I went to Urgent Care, I showed the DR. what I found on this site, and they of course never heard of that. I went to my Primary DR. and got an MRI, it show I have severe Tears in my shoulder and they said it can't be caused by a flu shot? I have never had any shoulder issues before until the shot? I have an appointment with a orthopedic so I'll try again to see if I can prove my case. This is so frustrating. I am in so much pain and for what?

Anonymous

All of you this is called a SIRVA (shoulder injury related to vaccine administration). You all should see an orthopedic doctor, one that is aware of what a SIRVA is. Check out the following links

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/mmrreportsirva.pdf

http://m.jabfm.org/content/25/6/919.full

Flu

Flu Guide

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: