Flu

Flu Guide

ask: why my shoulder STILL hurts after 2010 flu shot

By telephoneme

I started this new share because I got the new flu shot 3 weeks ago- the one that contains the reg. flu and the H1N1 combined. I got it done at Walgreens. When the Dr (pharmacist, actually) put it in, it did not hurt. Even though it felt like it was in the bone and very high up. The actuall dispensing of the vaccine felt like it took longer than usual. Since then, my shoulder still hurts and I complain about it several times a day. I cannot sleep on it at night and everytime I roll over in bed, it wakes me (all night long). I have rec'd the flu shot for years and I never got this pain. For this reason, I will NOT be forcing my 10 yr old to get it because she could not tollerate this pain and would have missed many days of school thus far. Comments?

Anonymous

Wow- at least I'm not alone. Why do Dr's dismiss this so quickly, especially when we tell them that we are certain it was the shot? In my case, the MA was standing in FRONT of me and bending around to administer the vaccination. She asked me to relax my arm, so I slouched my shoulder, then she pinched my skin too high and the needle was in upper deltoid towards front. No pain at all until 2 hours later. I was not working that week when I received the shot, so I am positive there was no other cause. The Dr gave me a snide look when I declined physical therapy (I have a manual labor job- so PT does no good) and when I asked for ultrasound, he reluctantly said MRI would be the only clear indication, so I asked for MRI. He stated clearly that it was not the vaccine. That is, until the MRI results came in. He still would not come right out and say it was SIRVA, but did state "When that stuff gets in there it can cause a reaction ", then gave me a cortisone shot that instant. I'm very worried what will happen to me. I cannot work now and am waiting to see what the surgeon will do, now that PT is not helping. Geez- I really don't need this extra stress. There were warnings when RN's were phased out into Med assistants and other lesser-trained health care employees. Now look what's happening.

Anonymous

After suffering for weeks after my flu shot, I went to a orthopedic doctor. He dismissed the shot theory and said I must have injured my shoulder. I know it was the shot! There was no injury or pain before. I did three months of physical therapy which helped a lot. It still hurts sometimes, especially when I pick up the grandkids. I go back and do some of the exercises from my therapist and it helps. Extremely frustrating! This year I told the Walgreens pharmacist where to give me the shot! Good luck to all my fellow shoulder suffered. You are not crazy ♡

Anonymous

I'm 73, female, healthy, and swim laps 5 times a week. I get the flu shot every year with no problems...UNTIL a month ago. The pharmacist at my local grocery store placed the needle very high in my arm; felt like it was in my shoulder...and it HURT. Never had a flu shot hurt before. Within a week or two, I couldn't sleep at night or raise my arm because of excruciating pain. And I couldn't swim. While the pain is somewhat better, the condition persists, and I have an appt to see my internist this afternoon. I decided to do some research online. I'm positive I have SIRVA, Shoulder Injuries Related to Vaccine Administration. Read the online "Vaccine Update" in the Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. I'm hoping to get an MRI and PT and hoping to avoid surgery. I will be vigilant when getting shots from not on and correct anyone trying to give me a shot in the upper deltoid muscle! My daughter is a nurse, and she was appalled at this problem.

Anonymous

I had a flu shot in October 2011 which was given too high up in my arm. I had it done at my doctors surgery in England. Ever since it was done my arm has never been the same. I have a terrible dull ache most of the time and when laying in bed at night I find it difficult to turn over as it hurts so much. I tried physiotherapy and the doctor game me a steroid injection but it has not made a difference. I regret the day I ever had the vaccine done as I had never had one before and needless to say NEVER AGAIN. I keep on trying to research information to see if anyone out there can suggest some form of treatment as I am of the impression that people who have not experienced this think that I am inventing stories.

Anonymous

I took my shot in around Nov 2014 and a week later I woke up in the morning feeling paralyzing pain in my left shoulder. I only feel the pain when I move my arm up or backward as if in stretching, but the pain is unbearable. Over the several weeks, it has gotten a little better, not not much. I went to see my family doctor, but he said it was from overstretching or the like (I knew he would say such from my experience with him). I'm worried the pain would go on for couple of years like the others mentioned, and who knows if there's any long term damage.

I have taken flu shots over the last 10 years and never experienced such a thing. I am not completely sure whether my shot was made too high in the arm though. I am suspecting the vaccine itself somehow was contaminated. Would that be a possibility?

Anonymous

I got a shot at the health department in town. I've had the flu shot every year that I can remember. Always hurt a lil getting it..and for a couple days after. This time it's lasted a few months already. I got the shot in September it's now January. I can do some things but not a lot. The shot it self hurt really bad. It broght tears to my eyes. I'll never get another one. Some things I try to do sends a lot of pain through my shoulder. Really stinks. I'm only 38

If its to any consolation mine hurt for months, then was stiff. now I only notice it on humid days so it does seem to go away. What the long term actual damage is I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that what it causes if badly enjected is bursitis.If it was recent I'd go complain about it!! I stupidly didn't as I had a lot of stuff going on at my life at the time and the NHS said I must have hurt it playing sport (i never play sport but nevermind!) If I could go back I would have complained until they took me seriously.

Anonymous

I had my flu shot in October and the new nurse put the needle very high toward the front. I thought this seemed wrong and checked it with two nurses I know, here's the deal. The Dept of Health warns that
no shot is to be given in the upper one third of the deltoid muscle because it can cause long term pain, that's what I have! told the nurse (nicely) thinking she would want to know WRONG she told her superior I was being racist! We are in one mixed up society. So I guess just suffer, don't tell anyone and let that nurse cause lots more people needless pain

Anonymous

I got a flue jab a few years at work. As she put jab in through bone it was really tough and the nurse said oooh you've got strong muscles? (This is to the least sporty person in the world..) I stupidly didnt make a fuss and put up with it for ages until months went past.

So I went to the NHS and explained that I had a bad sholder scince the jab and what it could be and they pretended it wasnt possible and that I must have injured it... Which I knew was not true?

Why they insist on lying about it I don't know. I now realised I should have kicked a fuss. Two years later sholders okish... just aches in damp weather!! Still very annoying!

Anonymous

I received my flu shot on Oct 23, 2013. I'm a registered nurse and as soon as the Walgreen's pharmacist stuck me with the needle, I knew it was too high. Within a half hour my shoulder started to stiffen. Two days later I went to the urgent care because I wanted it documented. The PA working that day kind of rolled her eyes at me, took an x-ray, and basically told me sometimes flu shots hurt. I told her I wanted a steroid.. she gave me meloxicam. I didn't even other filling it and kept taking 800mg of ibuprofen 2-3 times a day. I had horrible pain in the shoulder and could hardly dress myself. After three weeks, I went in for a back steroid injection for arthritis. It helped the shoulder a lot for about a week. My primary gave me 10 days of prednisone, so then I started taking that. It worked moderately well, but wore off quickly after it was done. I just had an MRI done and it shows diffuse rotator cuff tendonitis with fluid between the tendons, bone marrow edema around the AC joint, and small glenohumeral joint effusion. My doctor wants to tell me I must have hurt myself turning a patient or something, but my arm didn't hurt 5 minutes before the injection, but it's hurt ever since. I'm very angry and frustrated as this obviously makes my job and normal living much more difficult. The doctor hasn't told me what he plans to do yet, but I'm sure it's going to involve more steroids, which I cannot stand. Hopefully someone starts teaching these Walgreen's pharmacists how to give flu shots.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?:

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window