Flu

Flu Guide

ask: why my shoulder STILL hurts after 2010 flu shot

By telephoneme

I started this new share because I got the new flu shot 3 weeks ago- the one that contains the reg. flu and the H1N1 combined. I got it done at Walgreens. When the Dr (pharmacist, actually) put it in, it did not hurt. Even though it felt like it was in the bone and very high up. The actuall dispensing of the vaccine felt like it took longer than usual. Since then, my shoulder still hurts and I complain about it several times a day. I cannot sleep on it at night and everytime I roll over in bed, it wakes me (all night long). I have rec'd the flu shot for years and I never got this pain. For this reason, I will NOT be forcing my 10 yr old to get it because she could not tollerate this pain and would have missed many days of school thus far. Comments?

Anonymous

I had my shot 11/4/14. I am now recovering from surgery done 02/17/2015 as the result. When the resident at my doctors office injected the needle i noticed she was pretty high up on my arm near the top of my shoulder. She then when to plunge and nothing came out so while with the needle still in my arm she moved it and the fluid came out. I had he normal pain after, but after about 1-2 weeks I was in so much pain I could not lift my arm. I had gone back to the doctors had a xray and was told it looked fine in the xrays and to ice it and sleep in a chair. I could not sleep, i could not wash my hair, I was in so much pain I wanted to chop off my own arm. So I went to another orthopedic dr and he gave me a cortisone shot and sent me to physical therapy 12 times. Long story short after 12 pt and 2 cortisone shots and nothing helping I had surgery. He cleaned out the bursa and for the first time in almost 4 months I do not have that constant "charlie horse" feeling anymore thank god!!! Worst pain ever had in my life from a shot!!! Next year it will be nasal mist for me or nothing.....

Anonymous

I to had a flue gab months ago and it is still very painful. It still hurts to lay on or touch. The nurse seem to throw at me saying you had this before not taking any care what so ever throwing at great speed like a dart. I'm in my 70's and suffer form very acute COPD.
I was knocked over by a car about 20 years ago that left me with damage spine and neck. I'm now in wheelchair as I cannot walk and only just stand only holding on to something. I fell I must have it again this year but frightened. Any help or comment please.

Anonymous

Went to a neurologist today for flu shot related pain in shoulder....now I'm finally getting some answers. Had flu shot in September 2014 and still having pain and mobility issues. Neurologist is leaning towards autoimmune disease caused by the vaccine. My symptoms were very similar to others I've seen online.

Look up SIRVA Caused by flu shot give to high up.

Just realized there is actually a name for what happened to me. It is called Serva. My doctor administered the flu vaccine too high up in the shoulder and I could actually have a damaged nerve from that. I felt so much pain and discomfort that I went to a neurologists, who told me there was nothing wrong with my sholder. This happened about 5 years ago. I still feel discomfort.

Anonymous

This is so frustrating, I got the flu shot on February 12, 2015, the next day my shoulder started hurting so bad, I shrugged it off since some say your arm will hurt for a few days after the shot. Not to mention I have had like 10 in my life and never had a problem. The pain started to get so bad, I went to Urgent Care, I showed the DR. what I found on this site, and they of course never heard of that. I went to my Primary DR. and got an MRI, it show I have severe Tears in my shoulder and they said it can't be caused by a flu shot? I have never had any shoulder issues before until the shot? I have an appointment with a orthopedic so I'll try again to see if I can prove my case. This is so frustrating. I am in so much pain and for what?

Anonymous

All of you this is called a SIRVA (shoulder injury related to vaccine administration). You all should see an orthopedic doctor, one that is aware of what a SIRVA is. Check out the following links

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/mmrreportsirva.pdf

http://m.jabfm.org/content/25/6/919.full

Anonymous

I got a flu shot in November of 2013 and my shoulder still hurts. As a former PE Teacher and yoga instructor, this is incredibly frustrating. I have found one thing that has helped, especially since no one believed me that my shoulder was hurt from a damn shot! I purchased a set of Miracle Balls in December of 2013 and started using them every day. It took months before I could tolerate the pain (good therapeutic pain) enough to put all of my weight on that shoulder to roll it out. I can still feel the injured injection point. My shoulder is at about 80% after a year of self-therapy. At least I can raise my arm without wincing.

Anonymous

I am 37 year old female. Pregnant. I had the vaccine in November and it has gotten progressively worse since that day. I can not sleep on my right side, cannot lift, twist, pull, push, or make any motion anymore without pain. At one time the pain only came with movement, but now the pain and ache persist with no movement. I can't take medication or have X-ray's due to the pregnancy. I'm so miserable and angry this happened. And to have doctors look at you and treat you like some kind of complainer is just salt in the wound.

Look up SIRVA and insist on MRI

I AM SUFFERING WITH THE SAME THING AND DRUGS DO NOT HELP THE PAIN. Then call a lawyer.

Are you getting, or have you had a flu shot this year?: