Why should I get 4 different glucose readings within 5 minutes

By March 3, 2010 - 12:03pm

I am 88 with myasthenia gravis and about a week ago I started to have my eyes trying to shut down. I have ocular mg but the symptoms have always been double vision. I do get a monthly ivig treatment and take 240 grams of mestinon and 2 cellcept a day. I had the swine flu in January and the doctor prescribed me with hydracordone to calm my coughing. It was not renewed. Yesterday, for the first time i took my glucose reading and I had to get a new meter because we thought that was the reason for the different readings. Today again the readings were all over the map. Sic months ago, I was pre diabetes with range of 118-135 fasting readings. My readings now are anywhere from 118-153 fasting. I immediately have changed my diet. Thanks. elly

Hi again Elly

198 is a very high number. What did you do when you saw your numbers so high?

Your sleep cycle could be connected to your blood sugar. It's not likely to be connected to your myasthenia gravis because that often leads to fatigue rather than bursts of energy.

It could also be a lifestyle issue. What time do you go to bed? If it's before 9pm, you may have had enough sleep by 3am to allow you to feel refreshed and work for a little. Are you active during the day?

Your comment made sense about possibly being in transition between type 2 and type 1 diabetes. My new question is why do I feel most energetic at 3.00am after waking up . I have not had a shot of mestinon since 8P.M the previous evening and havent eaten since about 6.oo P.m when my glucose reading was an enormous 198. That morning at 3.00 my eyes were wide open and I wished they would close but they didnt. I got on the computer and did a little work for a half hour. Elly

Hi Elly

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

I'm sorry you have been having a tough time lately with these health issues but I'm glad you're keeping on top of things as best you can.

With regard to the glucose testing, blood sugar levels can change as much as every hour (or more) depending on foods eaten (or not eaten) exercise taken, and other variables.

As to why you would get four different levels in five minutes - this could be due to a malfunction if the changes within a minute or two are drastic but it could also mean that you are transitioning from pre-diabetes to diabetic although 153 is not of great concern.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Please do and please show him the monitor you are using.

For more information on Type 1 Diabetes, click here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/type-1-diabetes#definition

For more information on Type 2 Diabetes, click here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/type-2-diabetes#definition

Can you update us on your blood sugar situation after you see your doctor? And don't forget to bring your monitor!

Myasthenia Gravis

Myasthenia Gravis Guide