Why is there cheating in the Olympics?

With the Olympics nearing an end, of course there has been controversy. I was interested in what people thought about the Chinese Gymnasts and the age controversy. I have been watching it pretty closely.

Now maybe because I am getting older, but I tend to notice that 16 year olds look more like 18-20 years olds and not younger. When I saw the pictures of the gymnasts from China, my first thought is, “there is no way these girls are 16 years old.”

The Olympic Committee decided to change the minimum age limit since the massive amount of pressure on these young bodies surely may cause issues in the future. I think this makes sense. Yet, there are so many Olympians that are lying about their ages.

Here is the link to the news story from CNN http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/21/gymnasts.age/index.html?eref...
I would love to hear what others think about this..

While nobody likes to think that anyone would cheat, I'm afraid, like Susan mentions, it's human nature. And with so much apparently at stake especially on the world stage, there may be a chance of it.

People have cheated since the beginning of time - ever since they figured out that it was beneficial to do so!

One would think at a level of such (literal) Olympian standards, these athletes should and would know better, but they are just as prone to cheating as the next person. In fact, they have more to gain (or lose) and such public spotlight and intense pressure may increase their odds for cheating.

As for the Chinese gymnasts - it's hard to say. They don't look particularly young to me because gymnasts tend to be very small, muscular, flat-chested young women by their very nature. In addition, those with long hair have it up in ponytails or pigtails to keep it out of the way, making them look every younger. So the difference between an 18 year old and a 14 year old gymnast would be quite hard to spot.