Why in the world would this mom hire someone to kill her 9-year-old??

By January 16, 2009 - 1:50pm

According to an article running today on the Guardian News and Media web site (guardian.co.uk), a Chinese court has sentenced a 36-year-old mother, Li Yingfang, to death for hiring a man to strangle her 9-year-old son so that she could have a baby with her new husband. Because she had this son from her previous marriage, it would have been very costly for her to have another baby due to China's one-child law that was introduced about thirty years ago. Couples who break the law and have more than one baby have to pay a financial penalty.

To add more to this twisted story, Li Yingfang's new husband also has a child from a previous marriage -- a daughter. Before Li Yingfang sought to kill her son, she first tried to have her stepdaughter killed, but the young girl resisted and escaped. Thus she decided to have her son killed and hired a man who strangled the boy and left his body by the side of a road.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/16/china-one-child-policy

There is no doubt that we are very fortunate to live in a democracy. Our children are revered here no matter the sex of the child. It is amazing to think that someone could hire a hit man to take the life of your child due to a new marriage or a law that states that you cannot have more than one child without paying penalties.

I have traveled all over the world and seen things in different countries that I will never agree with especially exploitation of children in the sex industry. Yes, we have it in this country too but at least we do have laws that govern the safety of children.

This is a very sad story.

Aside from a Susan Smith reference, I wasn't really comparing this mother with anything. While I find it hard to believe Chinese authorities on very much, considering their dismal track records on human rights, I'm just wondering what else is going on to make this woman do this.

There are bad people everywhere, including Communist nations. Maybe she is one of them. Maybe not. Maybe she's mentally ill and coming from China, has been maltreated her entire life. I think my difficulty in understanding it partly lies in the fact that she had the $10K to hire someone to kill. The fact that the little girl managed to fight off her killer and the mother just went on to the next child is very disturbing, anyway you look at it.

Pity the woman won't get to explain her story; but we know that's not going to be allowed...

I saw a Channel 4 (England) documentary called China's Stolen Babies last year, it was very compelling.

Another, The Dying Rooms, focuses on the starvation and deaths of Chinese babies in state-run orphanages. You'll need a very strong stomach to see it.

And at times like this, yes, I'm very grateful I live in this part of the world.

When I upset with my kids, I want to strangle them myself! I wouldn't pay someone.

Obviously I'm kidding.

I have some friends in China and I have to agree with alysiak - there is no comparison to be made.

Value what we have here in the west no matter how many challenges we seem to face.

This is partly a cultural, partly a governmental issue in China. China is not known for its humanitarianism! The one child rule was established to help control the population growth under Communist rule.

There had to be such desperation going through this woman's mind - and we don't even know what the new husband was thinking, since it was his daughter put at risk, too! Yes, males are valued more than females in China, and daughters are still sold.

China did lift the one child rule following the devastating Sichuan earthquake last year, to help families in that area rebuild.

Keep in mind that you and I are from the "free world," that life as we know it is vastly different from other parts of this world. $10K is a tremendous amount of money in China; their new wealth isn't shared by the majority of their population, and it's a corrupt government they're dealing with. Plus, their population is vast - 1.3Bil as of July, 2008, with some provinces more populated than some major countries.

Avoid comparing yourself to this troubled woman. There is simply no comparison to be made.

I read that the fee is somewhere in the $10,300 region. So that's the same (give or take a few hundred) as to kill the child.

But I hardly imagine someone plotting to kill an innocent child was finely tuning the math. There must be something else going on - or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Was having a child part of the deal? Maybe it's a little too Susan Smith for me, to think of yet another woman killing children in order to hang on to a man.

It was $10,258 (according to a currency calculator) that she paid to have her son killed. And you're saying the fee to have a second child is $10,300?!? Crazy, huh.

Good Lord.

Actually, since males are valued far more highly in India and China, my initial thought was one of surprise that a little boy was considered for death. I'm sadly not surprised to go on to read that a little girl was the initial target. Little wonder that India has made sonograms to find the sex of the baby illegal, due to the onslaught of ensuing abortions that occur once the baby is seen to be a girl.

This one child policy is insane. It's also broken a lot; the fines are fairly tough but if she could afford to hire a man to kill a child, could she not afford to instead pay the fine? Or is the price of a hitman really cheap in China?

Anyway you think about it, it's madness.

Well, if I'm calculating right, I think she paid about $10,000 (70,000 Chinese Yuan) to have her son killed. I can't imagine that it costs that much to have an additional child in China, but I'll have to see if I can find that out. Pretty wild.