Why would I have an enlarged lymph node in my breast?

By Anonymous April 16, 2009 - 6:21am

I am a 30 y.o. female with no family history of breast cancer. I found a lump in my right breast a short while ago. Over the next few weeks I had 2 sets of mammograms and an ultrasound done. I called my gyn daily to get the results of the tests, and when they finally came in the FNP returned my call. She stated that it was benign, and when I questioned her further she said it was an enlarged lymph node. Not being a pushy person, and I didn't really have any questions prepared for this scenario I let it go and hung up. Now I can't find any info online for why I would have an enlarged lymph node in my breast. From what I'm finding it must not be a common place, because I have yet to find anything.

So, my question is...Is this something that should be further tested? It is still the same size as when I found it about a month and a half ago. The only other symptom I am having is that occasionally my breast will ache slightly. It's usually only for a few seconds and it quits. It occurs maybe 1-2 times a day.

Anonymous

Hi,
I am 37 years old. No history of breast cancer in my family. I recently had a mammogram and and ultra sound- I thought I had some dimpling of the skin on the outside of my breasts. The Dr said it was cellulite, no dimpling but ordered the tests anyways. I have been told that I have a benign lymph node of the right breast and to follow up in 3 months.
I was sick last month with a cold for 3-4 weeks. Last Saturday I banged my right elbow pretty hard as well.
At this point I am concerned. Should I be doing something else or be seen sooner than 3 months.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Being ill with a cold and banging your right elbow should have no impact on the benign lymph node. I think you can wait for the three month follow-up.

However, should you notice enlargement of that lymph node or experience any pain, do not hesitate to contact your physician.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello. I am 33 and a year ago I have had a mammogram and ultrasound on my left breast due to an enlarged lymph node. My Dr. shared that there was nothing wrong and it was just simply enlarged. Most important detail is that I also have the NEXPLANON birth control implant in my left arm. I am very sensitive to any foreign objects especially all types of birth control. Lately, I have been noticing some changes. I have gained weight (mainly due to the holidays and being in love) also my left breast is tender, slightly larger and doesn't feel normal. My left armpit is swollen and larger than my right. I am going to have another Dr. apt tomorrow. Have any of you heard of any reactions like this? Thank You. Xoxo E

Anonymous

I found a lump in my breast(very small) about a year ago, fast forward to six months ago and the lump had grown quite a bit. I was sent for two mammograms and two ultrasounds, all came back showing nothing. My dr. Said it is a 3cm lump. How can that not show up on either tests? My dr sent me to a surgeon who says she is not concerned but to continue to see her every three months. I went to see her today and she said my lump was a lymph node. Why would my lymph node me that big for that long. She is still not concerned, I, on the other hand am swamped with questions.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It sounds like your doctors are doing the "watchful waiting" option for your lumps - this means there is no immediate concern but they will monitor these enlarged lymph nodes.

I do encourage you to request a meeting with your doctor. I can fully understand that you have many questions and the surgeon does owe you a full explanation on what's going on with your body.

We can only hazard guesses for you, you need a consultation, at the very least with your surgeon's assistant or nurse. Please place a call.

susan

Anonymous

I'm not ok with the lymph nodes I just had my 3rd surgery on last Thursday with the removal of lymph nodes ! Doctors don't know why they keep coming back they are in the same breast in that same area !

Anonymous

Hi, I'm 32 yrs old. I noticed a swollen lymph node in my right breast.
I'm currently nursing my baby. He's not rejecting that breast. And no abnormal coloured fluid when it's expressed.
I've had a u/s but waiting for the results.

What should I be asking my dr when I get my results.

Congratulations on your baby!

Your doctor should give you the information you need but ask why the swelling is happening (often times it's due to a previous virus in the body like flu) and if it will affect breastfeeding (it shouldn't.)

Also ask if further testing or treatment is needed.

Anonymous

I am a 36 yr old mom of three. Over two yrs ago I found a lump in my breast, had the mammoth, ultrasound and biopsy. All came out fine but I needed to get a ultrasound and see my surgeon every 6 months for two yrs. At the last ultrasound, they saw an enlarged lymph node where the lump was, and continued monitoring me for another year. The last ultrasound I had the radiologist and surgeon disagreed on. The radiologist recommended an MRI and the surgeon said I was fine until I'm forty, when I would begin routine mammograms. I don't know what to think. I should mention I have mixed connective tissue disease.

Thanks for writing to us.

You have a right to an MRI, even if your doctor disagrees. Your radiologist has said he/she recommends one so if you feel you'd like the peace of mind, ask for one to be done.

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide