Why would I have an enlarged lymph node in my breast?

By Anonymous April 16, 2009 - 6:21am

I am a 30 y.o. female with no family history of breast cancer. I found a lump in my right breast a short while ago. Over the next few weeks I had 2 sets of mammograms and an ultrasound done. I called my gyn daily to get the results of the tests, and when they finally came in the FNP returned my call. She stated that it was benign, and when I questioned her further she said it was an enlarged lymph node. Not being a pushy person, and I didn't really have any questions prepared for this scenario I let it go and hung up. Now I can't find any info online for why I would have an enlarged lymph node in my breast. From what I'm finding it must not be a common place, because I have yet to find anything.

So, my question is...Is this something that should be further tested? It is still the same size as when I found it about a month and a half ago. The only other symptom I am having is that occasionally my breast will ache slightly. It's usually only for a few seconds and it quits. It occurs maybe 1-2 times a day.

Anonymous

I'm not ok with the lymph nodes I just had my 3rd surgery on last Thursday with the removal of lymph nodes ! Doctors don't know why they keep coming back they are in the same breast in that same area !

Anonymous

Hi, I'm 32 yrs old. I noticed a swollen lymph node in my right breast.
I'm currently nursing my baby. He's not rejecting that breast. And no abnormal coloured fluid when it's expressed.
I've had a u/s but waiting for the results.

What should I be asking my dr when I get my results.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Congratulations on your baby!

Your doctor should give you the information you need but ask why the swelling is happening (often times it's due to a previous virus in the body like flu) and if it will affect breastfeeding (it shouldn't.)

Also ask if further testing or treatment is needed.

Anonymous

I am a 36 yr old mom of three. Over two yrs ago I found a lump in my breast, had the mammoth, ultrasound and biopsy. All came out fine but I needed to get a ultrasound and see my surgeon every 6 months for two yrs. At the last ultrasound, they saw an enlarged lymph node where the lump was, and continued monitoring me for another year. The last ultrasound I had the radiologist and surgeon disagreed on. The radiologist recommended an MRI and the surgeon said I was fine until I'm forty, when I would begin routine mammograms. I don't know what to think. I should mention I have mixed connective tissue disease.

Thanks for writing to us.

You have a right to an MRI, even if your doctor disagrees. Your radiologist has said he/she recommends one so if you feel you'd like the peace of mind, ask for one to be done.

Anonymous

I've had pain in my left breast for the last 5 months. It comes after ovulation and gradually goes away at menstration. I just got my mammogram and ultrasound results. Mammogram showed no irregularities, but the ultrasound showed an enlarged lymph node. My doctor said that since it's under 1cm they won't do anything about it, but to repeat the ultrasound in 6 months.

I'm not sure if I should push for a biopsy. I haven't been sick, so I don't know why my lymph node is enlarged. My doctor said I shouldn't worry since the pain comes and goes according to my cycle...I just don't know. I also have breast implants, so this worries me more.

Generally, a virus can enlarge lymph modes in this area but since you've been feeling fine, this may not be the case.
If everything looks normal then there is not much else we can tell you but a biopsy is a fairly simple procedure so if you feel it will help ease your mind, asking can't do any harm.

Anonymous

I've had a brownish-greenish discharge in my right breast for a couple of years. Got a bilateral diagnostic mammogram and a right breast U/S. Nothing was wrong breast-wise. A few weeks later, I developed other symptoms of SLE or Lupus. One of the symptoms I experienced was swollen lymph nodes. It's been 4 months and I still have the discharge and the have swollen lymph nodes. Im not sure if they're connected but my symptoms of Lupus first started showing up right around the time the discharge began to occur...draw your own conclusions.

Anonymous

Is anyone still here? Are you ladies still ok with your lymph nodes in breast

Anonymous

So as far I understand your lymph nodes in breast can be clearing infection like cold? I had done ultrasound and they said my left breast had two small lymph nodes and nothing to worry about but I need to follow up. I have anxiety about it. Could my sinus infection week ago be responsible for it?

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: