Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

ask: Why would I have an enlarged lymph node in my breast?

I am a 30 y.o. female with no family history of breast cancer. I found a lump in my right breast a short while ago. Over the next few weeks I had 2 sets of mammograms and an ultrasound done. I called my gyn daily to get the results of the tests, and when they finally came in the FNP returned my call. She stated that it was benign, and when I questioned her further she said it was an enlarged lymph node. Not being a pushy person, and I didn't really have any questions prepared for this scenario I let it go and hung up. Now I can't find any info online for why I would have an enlarged lymph node in my breast. From what I'm finding it must not be a common place, because I have yet to find anything.

So, my question is...Is this something that should be further tested? It is still the same size as when I found it about a month and a half ago. The only other symptom I am having is that occasionally my breast will ache slightly. It's usually only for a few seconds and it quits. It occurs maybe 1-2 times a day.

Anonymous

Hi , please help , the lymph nodes in my breast are swollen, the right breast is now much bigger heavier and dense than the other. Its also very tender, and i feel pressure on the one side. My doctor has recommended i do a breast unltra sound - should i be concerned.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your question. It is perfectly normal to be concerned when you notice something unusual or abnormal. You are doing the right thing by having a breast ultrasound.

The problem might be a breast infection. Symptoms include one breast appears larger than the other due to abnormal swelling, breast tenderness, and enlarged axillary lymph nodes. Fever, fatigue and skin redness in a wedge-shaped pattern are noted.

Anonymous, it is important to remember that most changes in the breast are not cancerous. Please keep us updated.

Regards,

Anonymous

there is hypoechoic solid mass lesion at 2 o`clock position of the left breast at 3cm from nipple. the lesion shows increased vascularity.the lesion measures about 21mm*22*13mm. a lymph node is also seen at left axilla measuring about 2cm*1.2cm is this a cancer or bengin please tell me

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - Please talk with your doctor. A biopsy is required to determine is this is cancerous or benign, at this point the information you have provided only indicates that there is a lesion. Hope that helps! Pat

Anonymous

there is hypoechoic solid mass lesion at 2 o`clock position of the left breast at 3cm from nipple. the lesion shows increased vascularity.the lesion measures about 21mm*22*13mm. a lymph node is also seen at left axilla measuring about 2cm*1.2cm doctor has suggest for biospy. Is biospy is needed in this case ? plz advise

Thank you for your question.

Yes. A biopsy of this lesion is necessary.

The pattern of vascularity of a lesion, along with other characteristics seen on ultrasound, help predict the possibility of malignancy.

During the biopsy procedure, the physician will insert a very fine needle and remove a sample of the lesion. The sample will be sent to the pathology department and examined under a microscope. This will confirm if the lesion is benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous).

I have had this procedure done. The area will be anesthetized. All you will feel is a pin prick. Trust me, have it done.

Regards,

Anonymous

help!!! I have a similar problem. i have a lump in my lower right breast right by the armpit sorta, it is very painful and makes my arm hurt, i went for an ultrasound and was told it was a swollen lymph node. I didn't really know what to ask so i left. i had no further results or calls from the doctors but it does not feel like its getting better, it goes from dime to quarter size daily and makes my back extremely stiff and is extremely painful... any advice?

How long have you had this swollen and painful lymph node?

Lymph nodes are small,bean-shaped glands that are located throughout the body. Their role in the lymph system is to carry lymph fluid, nutrients, and waste material between the body tissues and the bloodstream. The lymph system plays an important role in the immune system.

Swelling of a lymph node is the result of injury, infection, or a tumor which develops in or near that lymph node.

Generally. a swollen axillary lymph node, which are the glands located in the armpit,results from an injury or infection to the arm or hand. A rare cause may be breast cancer or lymphoma, which is a type of cancer that affects the lymph system. There are two main types of lymphoma, Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

Anonymous, please give your doctor a call and ask to have an appointment to discuss the findings of the ultrasound. You deserve an answer as to the cause. Also, share that this lymph node increases in size and is causing you extreme pain.

Please keep us updated.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

MARYANN;
they gave me the results there and told me basically they cannot do anything about it.. I don't think they take me seriously because im so young.

thank you so much. im very worried. the doctors around my town aren't too professional. im looking into it.

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: