Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Why would my toenails be dry, brittle and have white spots/patches? Could it be a fungus? Can my dermatologist help me?

I noticed the white markings after taking off toe nail polish that I had worn for a couple of months. That was a couple of months ago and it is still there. I thought it would grow out but it looks like they are not going away.

Anonymous

I have this issue too. I keep polish on my toenails all the time, and every time I remove it they're very brittle and have white patches. If I go a few months without putting polish on them, the new nail growth is perfectly normal. I believe long term exposure to polish damages them over time.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Thanks for your question. The health of our toes can often be an indicator of our overall health. Here's a link to information about nail diseases, as well as pictures, that will help you figure out what's going on. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/naildiseases.html

According to the American Podiatric Medical Association, a toenail fungus is usually a dark color and sometimes results in a foul smell. You can learn more about fungal infections here: http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/Foot-Health/FootHealthBrochures/GeneralFoot...

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: