ask: Will Folvite Tablets delay the periods? Does it change the menstrual cycle?

By empower

I am 24 years old female. I am taking Folvite tablets for the past 1 month as advised by the doctor (as me and my hubby are planning for a baby). My menstrual cycle is 26 days usually. Will having Folvite tablets delay the periods? My cycle has crossed 28 days by now. So are there chances of me being pregnant?

Abs

Hi Susan/ Rosa,

May be not a right forum for a male to join in. However, we (me & my wife) are going through series of traumatic phases and thus I want to hatch as much information as I can to proceed with a successful pregnancy. Last year my wife became pregnant in Mar and everything was just fine except the financial status. We mutually agreed to proceed with the termination of pregnancy medically and on doctor's consultation succeed via Mifipristone and Misoprostol. That was it and problems began afterwards. My wife bleed for almost 45 days and once it was over she suffered through Hemorroids. Treatment of that took around 6 months to fix naturally without any surgery by adding high fiber enriched food and plenty of water. Later on immediately she suffered with UTI caused by E.Coli. Once that we got fixed upon administration of certain antibiotics prescribed by the best doctor in city she became pregnant again. However, we were more than happy this time to have a baby as I am well stabilised now financially and mentally. However, her HCG hormones always remained low and thus doctor prescribed Folmet and Susten 300 twice daily along with Sifasi 5000 injection once a week. However, when she was about to complete 8 weeks as per the gestational period the TVS revealed the SAC of 4 weeks only and again that was when the bad time began. Doctor said it is probably that she will be miscarrying soon and it eventually happened within 48 hours. I dont understand what might have caused it as we took care of every possible scenario and given best care to my wife. I consulted the best Obs and Gyane consultant of the city and I have no regrets for consulting her as she also did her best. But it is the second year in a row when we could not have a baby (intentionally or unintentionally). Our Doc prescribed few tests upon miscarriage (Pap Smear, CBC, Thyroid profile, Torch Panel igg & igm, HCV, GCT, Urine Culture, BS fasting & PP). Of all the tests Thyroid profile came up with odd results. Her FT3 and FT4 results were in range however TSH was 8.7. Also, her Esnophils count was 15. We are more likely to visit our Doc next week to may be referred to Endocrinologist or some other dept. Could you please advise as to what could be the next step to proceed with in order to achieve healthy pregnancy ? Its been such a bad phase for both of us. All the complications in a row. I shelled out almost the cost of actual C-Section delivery in tests, miscarriage and consultation. Any suggestions will be a valuable for me.

Best Regards,
Abs.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Abs)

Hi Abs

I'm sorry about this recent miscarriage. 

A woman doesn't have an HCG count unless she is pregnant. This hormone only appears in pregnancy so I am not sure what you mean by her levels were low. Levels can be very low in early pregnancy which can mean the pregnancy is not viable. 

So taking the abortion from the issue, you have been trying for about a year with a failed pregnancy. This is very disappointing but not too unusual. Up to one third of pregnancies will end in misscarriage, there is nothing she did wrong, it's just a fact of life. 

For now, ask her doctor if her thyroid could affect her chances of pregnancy and make sure you keep trying every month before and during ovulation for pregnancy. 

Keep us posted-

Abs (reply to Susan Cody)

Thank You Susan for your support and advice. Low level of HCG hormone was meant for the count of hormone not equivalent to what she was supposed to have in her 5th week of pregnancy. When we first got her tested with Beta HCG the level was 3100 however Dr. said it should have been within 7100-12000. That is why Doc initiated Progesterone shots through injection and Susten 200 in order to prevent risk of miscarriage. I also asked our Doctor and she said TSH level is high but not enough to affect pregnancy. Dosage for Thyroxine has also been increased to control the TSH levels. Every other teast results appeared fine. We are trying to move further in our life. Plan for a week holiday is also in place after 3 months so my wife can recover soon from the emotional trauma. I work in a IT company and hardly get time for holidays. But anything for my wife. :) Thanks again.

You are welcome, Abs.

I do want to let you know that stress is a factor in infertility - both of you sound like you need some downtime! 

But it's doubtful that fertility is your issue. Your wife needs to calculate her monthly cycle carefully so that you are having sex at the right times for pregnancy.

Good luck to you both and I wish you both a healthy and happy baby in the future! 

Anonymous

Hi,m 25, m a mother of two sons d last one is one year 9months n nw me n my hub wans twins.my doc has advised me to tk eltroxin 50mcg n folvite.n askd me to take clomid 50mg from my 2nd day of menses till 6th day in morn n nite n askd me to tk a follicular test on 14th day.so plz tel is dis helpful to hav twins....m really very serious about it...pleez help

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Clomid helps with ovulation but it's IVF and the implantation of multiple embryos that makes twins more likely. While Clomid can increase the odds of twins by several percentage points, it shouldn't be taken in the hope that twins happen.

Otherwise, having twins can be genetic but only on the mother's side. Having identical twins is a crap shoot - there is no genetic component. Older women and black women have a higher chance of twins.

I'm not sure why your husband wants twins but your focus should be having a healthy pregnancy (and conceiving first), rather than trying for multiples.

Folvite is a vitamin (folic avid) that helps with keeping a pregnancy helpful.

I hope your husband is aware of how having multiples works.

Good luck in conceiving, you sound like you are doing the best you can!

Anonymous

hello mam.i am 29 yrs old.. am taking Folvite tablets for the past 1 month as advised by the doctor (as me and my hubby are planning for a baby). My menstrual cycle in 30 days as usual but last 2 months its delay for 42 days ,39 days..i am tried for getting baby last 4 months..kindly advise me is there any prblem??

Jaya

Folate tablets are vitamins that help foster a healthy pregnancy. At 29 most women and men are advised to wait about 12 months of trying for a baby before consulting a doctor to see if there are any problems.

So give yourself another 5-6 months of trying for pregnancy before talking to your doctor.

Anonymous

My name s margaret,am 27yrs I ve been taking folic acid 5mg daily.before ma last period dat wuz on the 22nd of last month,meanwhile am still breastfeeding my 10mnths old baby. My period has not come and today is 26 already,Have been having head ache off and on.reply plssssssssss

Anonymous

Hi
I am 27 years old. Me and my husband are planning for a child since six months. But not yet succeed. I'm taking folvite tablets for past 3 months. Also i've undergone follicles monitoring. The growth rate was slow. My doctor prescribed injection for rupturing follicles. The follicles ruptured on 22nd day. My LMP is 12th August. But this month i got periods (17th September).How can i get pregnant? Please advice.

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: