Will gel manicures give me skin cancer?

By HERWriter Blogger June 30, 2014 - 11:42pm

Gel is all the rage because it lasts so much longer than normal manicures but I have been hearing some buzz recently about gel causing skin cancer due to the UV light process.

HERWriter Blogger

Hey Susan,

This response helps a lot! I love gel manicures, but was worried the UV rays could have some bad health effects. That's a great idea to put on some sunscreen. I'll have to try that before my next manicure!

Hi Erin! 

I love gel manicures! 

The topic of cancer has arisen due to the UV exposure of the drying process, as you mention. 

The good thing is that your hands spend about five minutes per manicure under these lights and people don't generally get these manicures more than once of twice a month. Some just get them for special occasions. Therefore you are not being exposed to much light. 

However, UV rays are UV rays so I suggest you put on a good sunscreen before your manicure and ask to have your massage done at the end so that it doesn't affect your sunscreen cream. You don't need to wash your hands during the manicure, simply carefully cleaning your nails will work. This will stop your sunscreen from being washed off. 

Has this helped?

Nail Products