will harmone therapy treatment help me to remove cysts on ovaries

am 23 years old(unmarried),since an year am facing the problem of polycystic ovaries,last year ,seeing my first scan report of ovaries my doctor advised me to use a pill called glycomet for 6 months ,i used it and then for the next six months my periods were normal,but now since 2 months am facing pain in lower abdomin and i went for the next scan,even after seeing my next scan report with the great increase of cysts on both ovaries my doctor ,she was saying this is normal in women,now u dont use any tablets,after ur marriage u com to me i will guide you.now i realised that she does'nt know to give proper treatment,am consulting an other good doctor now,she gave me medicines which are related to harmone therapy.am very much worried about pregnancy after my marriage,will i able to conceive after marriage.what kind of cysts i have on ovaries i dont know that.u plz tell me wat kind of cycts can be removed with harmone therapy treatment.accoring to scanning report (right ovary measures 4.2 by 2.2 and left ovary measures 3.8 by 2.3).plz help me out with this.

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question and welcome! Polycystic ovaries (or PCOS) are a problems for many women, unfortunately but there is hope - and help!

We have a detailed page on PCOS and it describes treatment as being varied,

"according to whether the patient wishes to conceive or not. Management currently is targeted at the underlying insulin resistance that accompanies PCOS diagnosis.

Treatment includes:

◦Managing symptoms
◦Weight loss if overweight, nutrition consultation
◦Insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and prediabetes management
■Use of oral agents such as: Metformin, Glucophage, Actos, Avandia
◦Oral contraceptive
◦Inducing ovulation (if you wish to get pregnant)
■Metformin with or without Clomiphene citrate
■Advanced reproductive technologies
◦Preventing complications
◦Anti-androgenic medications for blocking future hirsutism (unwanted hair growth)

Lifestyle Measures
To lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease:

◦Get regular screenings for diabetes, high blood cholesterol, and fat levels.
◦Exercise regularly.
◦Eat a low-fat diet.
◦Maintain a healthy weight.

Hormonal Therapy
Birth control pills regulate periods. Also, by causing the endometrium (uterine lining) to shed regularly, they reduce the risk of overgrowth or cancer. They also help control abnormal hair growth and acne. Other hormones (called progestins) may also be used to regulate menstruation. They can be used monthly or intermittently. Fertility drugs may be given instead to stimulate ovulation in women who want to become pregnant."

Anon, if your cysts are growing and becoming very large, you can have them removed. Non-cancerous cysts can be removed through surgery, without the need to remove the ovaries.

Would you consider surgery?

Anon, it's possible to have PCOS and have lots of babies! Some women with PCOS cannot have children or have great difficulty but many go on to have successful pregnancies and healthy babies! Your ability to have children will depend on your individual case, and the treatment you decide upon.

Hopefully, hormone treatment will work for you (this is the birth control pill) and you will not need other treatments. Many women have found success with this.

Will you take a look at our PCOS page and let me know what you think? You can find it here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/polycystic-ovary-syndrome

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide