Will my birth control pills work immediately after the week in between packs?

By Anonymous February 5, 2013 - 6:30pm

I just started takin Yasmin for the first time. My doctor told me it takes a month to work. But right after that month ends I'm to wait a week before starting a new pack. My question is: how long after I start the second pack will it be safe? Immediately after I start it even though I would have just gone a week without it.?

That is a very good question, and one that you should have asked your gynecologist at the time.

Here is some information from the website, drugs.com, that may help answer your question.

Yasmin prevents ovulation and causes changes in your cervical and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.

You may need to use back up birth control, such as condoms or a spermicide, when you first start using Yasmin of if you miss a dose. Following your physician's instructions is advised.

It would be advisable for you to use a back up birth control for that week that you will not be taking Yasmin. Give your physician a call and ask how long after you start the second pack will it be safe.