will/how long does it take fr hair to grow back on my 6 yr old scalp after having a mole removed?

By January 27, 2010 - 8:15am

My 6 yr old daughter recently(3 months) had a small flat superficial mole( about a pencil head eraser size) removed from her scalp. The doctor shaved her head about a halh-a-dollar in size and put 4 stitches with some type of glue-like seal on top. 2 weeks later the stitches were removed and she was left with a bald spot at that time I was reassured by the surgeon that her hair would grow back and not to worry.Well 3 months later I'm worried I see not 1 hair growing back and she is left with a huge bald spot. Will her hair ever grow back or at least some of it or will it just take more time???

Dear cynvas1371

Thanks so much for your post! I hope your daughter has recovered well from her procedure and I'm sorry she still has hair loss.

You will need to contact her doctor so see what kind of skin is left on her scalp from the mole removal and ask him why the hair growth that he assured you of has not happened. Or a dermatologist can help.

If she has thick scarring from the mole removal, she may never grow hair back in that spot. She may have to style her hair in a way that makes the spot unnoticeable. Or, it may take a lot more time to see regrowth that you originally thought because that part of her head is still healing. Some kind of hair growth enhancer (like Rogaine) may also work but you would have to check that with your doctor. In many cases, this kind of application is safe to use on children but not before a doctor consultation.

I'm sorry we can't be of more help but since we don't know the exact actions her doctor took, or the state of her scalp/scar now, he will be your best bet. And if he is no help, get a second opinion.

Will you keep us updated?