Wondering about history of cancer

By September 13, 2011 - 10:35am

Hi, Their is something which I'm wondering about the history of cancer. My doctor who is a oncologist was asking me about having any history of cancer in my family and I said no. My mother's cousin died couple years ago from breast cancer and her sister died from ovarian cancer. Another cousin of my mother died from ovarian cancer years ago. I want to know since they all are my mother's cousin who past away from cancer would this count as having history of cancer in my family? I don't know if this is a yes or no question if my doctor ask me about history of cancer. Could it count as I become at risk since they were my mother's cousin? If my doctor ask me do you have history of cancer I don't know if I should say yes or no? Please let me know soon.

Thanks for your reply. I know I can talk about anything with my doctor such question about history of cancer I didn't think of it this way as your telling me. That's all I was wondering.

Hi Melissa!

All doctors ask their patients about their family medical history so that's not unusual at all.

You can certainly tell him about your family history that you talked about above - you can talk to him about absolutely anything you like - there are no wrongs or rights in this matter.

Also, I know you need and like a lot of advice from others and we are happy to do so, but don't become too reliant on other people giving you "permission"( so to speak) on what to tell your doctor or what is and isn't ok. As a grown woman, you must allow and trust yourself to make these decisions yourself - they are not medical decisions, just decisions on what to talk about. We tell you this to help you - if we didn't, we wouldn't be doing a good job of empowering women to take care of themselves and be proactive in their own health and health care needs.

You have the power to ask anything to your doctor. That is your right as an empowered patient and a good doctor will listen to your questions and take care of it from there!

Good luck !