Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Would it be easy for me to become pregnant after going off my Yaz pills next month?

By Anonymous April 27, 2009 - 1:16pm
Rate This

7 years ago I wasnt on the pill and the first time i my boyfriend and I had sex the condom broke, morning after pill didnt work and I got pregnant. Since we were so young we had an abortion (something i regret every day) well now were married and we're ready to have children, if it was so easy for me to get pregnant before would it still be easy for me to next month after going off the pills?

Add a Comment8 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. It's sods law that we have sex lots when I am not ovulating, yet in the middle of the cycle we're tired/argue/work away etc!! Ah well keep trying! It's nice to know others are in the same position. I think we are brainwashed from being young to not miss a pill, take the morning after pill etc etc as if pregnancy is always just around the corner and now when you actually want it it's quite different! I think I've led a sheltered life!!
Do you think my boyfriends age is of any concern, also he is probably a little overweight?

November 1, 2009 - 9:31am
(reply to Anonymous)

That is so funny...sounds like my husband and I, too: when I was most likely ovulating, we were tired/arguing/working late.

Fortunately for men, their fertility does not decline as early and significantly as women's fertility. Age is an important factor in fertility, but women see a more significant decline in fertility as they reach their 40s (for instance: women have a 20% chance of pregnancy each cycle until they reach 40...then the number drops to 5% chance with each cycle, according to many studies). Interestingly, there aren't similar studies that I have found with men, as long as their sexual functioning is still going well, they can father children into their 60s! (If it helps, my husband is 11 years older than I am..so you and I really are in similar situations).

Good luck, and can't wait to hear how you are doing!

November 1, 2009 - 1:17pm
EmpowHER Guest

Hi I'm 28 and my boyfriend is 39. I came off the pill in September and thought I'd get pregnant straight away. We've had sex at the right times etc. I was shocked the first month when I came on my period but reading these sites it looks impossible to get pregnant quickly! How come there are so many teenage mums yet these women who are doing everything by the book find it so difficult?

November 1, 2009 - 4:32am
(reply to Anonymous)

It is all in the "odds"...most (fertile) woman has about a 20% chance (or "odds") of becoming pregnant each cycle.

Some women (the minority) will fall within the "20% chance of becoming pregnant" in any given month, while other women (the majority) will fall within the "80% chance of not becoming pregnant". A large majority of "fertile women" (the term for women who do not have infertility problems) will become pregnant within 6-12 months of trying to become pregnant.

You ask why so many teenagers become pregnant? Look at the factors that help or hinder chances/odds:
- age (fertility decreases with age),
- frequency of intercourse (it can be argued that teenagers have more frequent episodes of intercourse...thanks to their new hormone surges!)
- access to birth control (many teenagers do not have access to pills; are too embarrassed to purchase condoms)

Lastly, publicity and/or statistics plays a role, as when a 20-, 30- or 40-year old woman becomes pregnant..it is not news-worthy. It may seem like statistically more teenagers become pregnant compared to "older" women; I can find actual population numbers, if you are curious about the statistics!

Hang in there...I was in your same shoes; I thought the second we stopped using birth control I would become pregnant (I am 34), and it took us 5 months of trying. Let us know when you have a positive test result!

November 1, 2009 - 7:22am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Thanks very much. This was really useful for me. A lot of my newly married friends are pregnant 3 months after their weddings I.e. Honeymoon babies. It's very frustrating!

November 1, 2009 - 8:19am
(reply to Anonymous)

I know what you mean, but you may also not know about other friends who have been trying for several months to conceive, and don't want to share this information. It's a much better/funnier story to share with friends that they are "already pregnant"! :-)

When I was researching the topic of conception, I read that most experts are saying to have frequent intercourse, every-other day, regardless of timing in your cycle. Not sure if you are having frequent intercourse ("life" gets in the way!), but this plays a huge factor in your chances of conceiving each month. Some women try to track cervical mucus or predict ovulation, and then try to time intercourse for when they predict they are most fertile...but by the time they realize they are ovulating...it may be too late. Experts say to have sex before you think you are ovulating, as well as during and after, for best chances of conceiving. Plus, you may ovulate much earlier or later than "other" women during one cycle..it's difficult to know until after-the-fact.

Just wanted to give you some information to help increase your odds: sex often! (If it starts to feel like a chore, however, take a break and just make sure you are having fun with your partner...enjoy the intimacy and time together).

November 1, 2009 - 8:44am
EmpowHER Guest

As the previous post states, it can take several months to get pregnant after coming off the pill. However a friend of mine got pregnant almost immediately after coming off, so it obviously can be done. She was around 25 then I believe. It always makes me laugh because she was all planned for a summer baby, got pregnant 3 or 4 months before she expected to and had it in february!

October 5, 2009 - 9:40am
HERWriter Guide

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question!

Ease of getting pregnant depends on so many things. From health, to fertility levels, to weight to age to medications and stress levels.

It's good to know that you are actually able to get pregnant. It's often thought that it takes up to three months after stopping the Pill to get a regular cycle in order to actively plan a pregnancy, but yes, all healthcare issues aside, you could certainly get pregnant a month after stopping your birth control pill.

Good luck to you and don't lose faith, it can take a healthy, fertile couple months to get pregnant! I know the wait is hard when it's something much longed for but give it time. If you are under age 35, the general consensus is that you need to be actively trying for 12 months before you may need to see a doctor about potential problems getting pregnant.

Keep us updated and we hope you get your wish very soon!

April 27, 2009 - 1:50pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.