Would You Trade Coffee for Cocoa?

By May 9, 2008 - 11:41am

According to one study, you can apparently stave off wrinkles by drinking cocoa. It's some of the best news I’ve heard in a long time and it comes to us straight from the Journal of Nutrition. Apparently, consuming cocoa, which contains something called flavanols, improves skin texture, mainly, its density, thickness, roughness, and scaling. According to the JON article, skin’s hydration was also improved and skin water loss is decreased.

The study shows that regular consumption of a beverage rich in flavanols can help maintain skin health by improving skin structure and function.

Doesn't mention anything about weight gain ....

So would you trade in your morning cup of java for a cup of cocoa if it meant better skin?

I like chocolate in coffee, chocolate flavored coffee, chocolate covered coffee beans...I suppose you could say I love to have my coffee and chocolate, too, LOL!

I knew there was a reason I love hot cocoa!! Thanks for validating this and making me feel even healthier!!!

I make chocolate drinks a lot in winter, made with skim milk so I get plenty of calcium and protein but none of the fat. I love it. I like coffee too, though. Maybe I'd change to just one coffee in the morning. Losing that one cup of joe would be too much to ask.

I think much of skin condition is due to behavior (sun tanning, smoking, not wearing sunblock, drug and alcohol abuse) and genetic.