Yeast + Bacterial Infection in the vagina

By November 1, 2011 - 12:29pm

I have a question regarding the vaginal infection. How do I control further growth of the bacteria. I met with a nurse practitioner who has diagonsed me with a bacterial (Not related to sexual) infection. While I have begun taking the antibiotics, I want to know if there are any other tips I could have to manage and alleviate the uneasy discomfort and flaming pain I am having as part of the symptoms? Thanks :)

Hi Anonymos1486

It sounds like you have bacterial vaginosis. While many of these infections are transmitted sexually, not all of them are. Here are some risk factors and causes for B.V.

Bacterial vaginosis is caused when the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina is disrupted. Normally, the vagina has helpful bacteria ( lactobacilli ), as well as more harmful bacteria (anaerobes—bacteria that do not need oxygen to live).

Sometimes the harmful bacteria overgrow, and not enough helpful bacteria are left in the vagina. The cause of this overgrowth is not understood. In some cases, it may be related to sexual activity through transfer of harmful bacteria from a sexual partner.

Risk Factors

The following factors increase your chances of developing bacterial vaginosis:
■Using douches or feminine sprays
■Having sex without a condom
■Having a new sexual partner or multiple partners
■Using an intrauterine device (IUD) for birth control

Here are ways to help prevent B.V.

To help reduce your chances of getting bacterial vaginosis, take the following steps:
■Abstain from sex or remain monogamous (have only one sexual partner).
■Use condoms during sex.
■Do not use douches or feminine sprays.
■Visit your doctor for regular pelvic exams.
■To avoid a recurrence of bacterial vaginosis, finish all medication prescribed by your doctor, even if the symptoms go away.
■Wash diaphragms and other reusable birth control devices thoroughly after use.
■Avoid wearing panty hose and other clothing that can trap moisture in the vagina.
■After bowel movements, wipe from front to back (away from the vagina).

For lots more information, click here:

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

Bacterial Vaginosis