Yeast infection or sti?

I have a problem! I'm 17, and just started birth controll loestrin 24 fe. Over the past couple of weeks i noticed a thick clumpy white discharge with no odor, itchyness, swelling of the lips of my vagina, and red bumps on the lips ( on hair line). I did contact my doctor about this, and she prescribed me yeast infection medicine. I'm taking it today! I just wanted to hear your opinion, yeast infection brought on by my recent birth controll or sti? My partner and I have been dating ( and sexually active) for a year with no symptoms or problems before, and neither of us have been with another partner. Whats your opinion?

Anonymous

Welcome to EmpowHER.  Vaginal yeast infections occur when the normal, protective bacteria are eradicated by antibiotics (taken to treat a urinary tract, respiratory, or other types of infection) or by immunosuppressive drugs, the yeast can multiply, invade tissues, and cause irritation of the lining of the vagina (vaginitis).Other conditions that may predispose women to developing vaginal yeast infections include diabetes mellitus, pregnancy, and taking oral contraceptives. The use of douches or perfumed vaginal hygiene sprays may also increase a woman's risk of developing a vaginal yeast infection. Vaginal yeast infections can also occur as a result of injury to the inner vagina, such as after chemotherapy.

Here's a link on Yeast infection

http://www.empowher.com/condition/yeast-infection

Daisy

Yeast Infection

Yeast Infection Guide