Yeast Infection prevention???

By November 6, 2009 - 11:13am

For some reason I am prone to yeast infections.. get them at least 4-6 times a year... sucks! anyways.. I was wondering if there's a way to prevent it rather than deal with treatments once it happens. I came across these pills - AZO Yeast. It's only like $5 per 60 pills, they're over the counter and they are supposed to prevent but also treat infection. You take them orally so you don't have to deal with all that yucky creams and if taken once a day it is supposed to prevent the future occurrences. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it possible to prevent the infection by a pill taken orally? Are there other ways to prevent the yeast infection? Thanks!

I have tried e everything to reduce the occurances of yeast infection and nothing works! Once I get rid of it ,it come back #ugh sometimes I don't have side effects until I have sex and discharge occurs ,terrible!
I started trying peroxide douche in addition to taking Azo yeast Pills !

Empty douche
Fill with half water and half peroxide insert In vagina to douche!
Then rinse vagina with Plain water at least 4 to five times to ensure it is all cleaned out ! Don't have sex right away allow peroxide to reestablish vagina ph with natural fluids # it works great!
This method can be repeated as needed! To reduce frequent infections you can do it a few times a week!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hydrogen peroxide can be very irritating to the vaginal mucosa. A half water/half peroxide solution may not be diluted enough, especially in the presence of an infection. Always check with your gynecologist first.

I am like many women in American and I experience yeast infections along with the terrible symptoms several times in one year. The Lady Soma Candida Cleanse does not provide a cure, HOWEVER, it does help with the symptoms especially if you are experiencing itching. You are directed to take 2-4 tablets a day when you have an infection and just take one a day when asymptomatic. I really like Lady Soma stuff because it is all natural, and its the only supplements that didnt upset my stomach and my internal balance. Good luck Jill!

I wish I had stock in the company I mention it so often. Jarrow makes a probiotic that is specific for vaginal balance called Fem-dophilus http://www.jarrow.com/product-391

This is a formulation from 10 years of study by a Dr. researchers Dr. Gregor Reid and Dr. Andrew Bruce. There are a few other companies that now make a vaginal health probiotic as well. You might try these and see if after a trial period they make a difference for you. I personally do not believe in the "science" of homeopathy so would not have confidence in them being helpful to prevent yeast infections.

Hi Chelsy,

One of the things I see with women who have chronic yeast infections is an over growth of yeast or candida in the gastrointestinal tract. We dont know the exact mechanism but anytime there is yeast in the vagina that continues to come back after treatment there is almost always an imbalance in the GI tract as well.

My suggestion to you is to visit a qualified Naturopathic Doctor in your area and look into getting tested and treated. www.naturopathic.org is a good resource for finding a qualified doctor in your area.

Good luck and let us know how things evolve.

Hi again Chelsy

You may be one of those women who are simply prone to yeast infections due to your body chemistry. It's just how you are made.

AZO is a homeopathic treatment that contains herbs and lactobacillus which is similar to the bacteria found in the vagina and the gut, so again similar to to what's in yogurt or probiotic drinks. So it's a bit like taking a probiotic in pill form.

We cannot recommend any kind of medication for you to take - just do your own research and take it from there. If you check reviews of AZO, many seem positive, although note the risk of side effects. No matter how "natural", nearly any supplement or medication can have a side effect.

Good luck to you - I have a friend who lives a very healthy life but also suffers from frequent yeast infections. If you do try the AZO, let us know how it worked for you!

thank you so much for your comments. I actually already do all those things and don't do the ones I shouldn't. I maintain a good diet, stay away from sweats and eat fruits and vegetables not many dairy products other then yogurts but not very often. I am a little obsessed with hygiene. I take showers twice a day and use a fresh towel every time. I wear cotton underwear only and use nothing but water to clean the "area" so I am totally bummed that it doesn't help.. :( I was on a birth control pills but stopped taking them. I haven't taken any antibiotics in years.. so.. why is it still happening so often? What about those pills I wrote about earlier. Is taking one a day will prevent it?

Hi Chelsy

Yeast is a good thing and is a natural part of the human body, but an overgrowth of yeast can cause a yeast infection which, as I'm sure you know, is annoying and uncomfortable.

There are many reasons for yeast infections. Due to their body chemistry, some women are just prone to them, no matter how healthy they are.

Swimmers sometimes get them from being in wet bathing suits a lot, and women who wear synthetic underwear or very tight clothing. Make sure that your underwear is made of cotton - or at least the crotch part is. Cotton allows the body to breath.

Some women are very prone to yeast infections if they take antibiotics. The reason for this is that the antibiotic kills the "good bacteria" in the body, as well as the bad stuff and without this good bacteria that normally keeps yeast growth at bay, the yeast can flourish. Eating yogurt can help with this as it contains the good bacteria helpful in keeping yeast to a healthy minimum and modify your carb and caffeine intake as well as eating fresh and healthy foods. Probiotics may help too - these are in yogurts as I said, and also newer yogurt drinks and smoothies.

Are you on birth control pills? These hormones can also encourage yeast growth. You may find that a different birth control method works better for you.

If you are prone to these infections, don't use any kind of "feminine hygiene" sprays or scented shower gels or other potential irritants. Use natural fibers as much as you can (like cotton) and don't use a douche! Those things are dreadful, unnecessary and do more harm than good. No woman needs to douche, it's a marketing tool by manufacturers to make women completely paranoid that they are not smelling like fields of lavender "down there". A woman's genital region should not smell, unless she has bad hygiene or an infection of some kind and all these "feminine deodorant" sprays and douches are bad - not good!
Also, another tip is to make sure you dry off properly after a bath or shower and if you're a swimmer, get out of your suit as soon as you get in the water (bring another dry suit to wear on the beach if you spend time on the coast).

Consider using a clothes washing detergent free of scents and dyes.

And there is medication to help, as I'm sure you know, if you do get a yeast infection.

I hope this helps - let us know if we can help you further - we wish you the best!

Eat very healthily, mostly raw fruits and vegetables; keeps the right PH balance in the body.
Raw fruit and veggies have enzymes which keep you healthy. Cut down on meat and dairy.