Q: 

Yeast Infection: Which medicine (OTC) is the best?

By August 21, 2009 - 7:13am

There are so many choices for over-the-counter medications for yeast infections, and I understand the difference between the suppositories, creams and wipes.

I'm curious, though, to know which of the suppositories are the best, or how do we find out? For instance, Monistat has the 7 day, 3 day, and two versions of a 1-day that contain different types of medication. Most of them have the active ingredient miconazole nitrate, but one of the 1-Day is tioconazole.

My questions are:
1. Are there any clinical studies that says one active ingredient works better?
2. Any research that says the 7 day, 3 day or 1 day treatments work better?

thanks!

Anonymous

Ticonazole 1 day burned me. I had to contact an online nurse because I was unsure if I should go to urgent care. I couldn't sit down; I thought it was going to fall off. I would never recommend it to anyone. Then it did not take care of the problem either. Next, I went to the 7 day Miconazole and this worked. Ladies I suggest the 7 day Miconazole or 3 day Miconazole to fix the YI.

Anonymous

Whatever you do, I don't suggest the monistst brand!! My poor vag was in hell! Burn and painful itching.

Anonymous

Tioconazole is an antifungul targeted specifically to vaginal yeast infections whereas miconazole is a broad spectrum antifungal can treat several types of fungi infections not specifically vaginal

Anonymous

Tioconazole caused an allergic reaction for me, probably because it's stronger.

Anonymous

Once you start to feel like you may be getting a yeast infection, you need to take a supplement right away - as it will kill the Candida yeast that causes yeast infections. It wont cause harm. Right when I get the small feeling that I may be getting a yeast infection, I take 2 Lady Soma Candida Cleanse pills and then two more at night. Usually, I wont get an infection at all. If I do not take them soon enough, and I end up with a yeast infection, I just take 4 right away, and it clears up in 24 hours. Its natural and does not have side effects.

Anonymous

Folks here are missing the fact that all 1 day treatments are less effective than longer treatments. 1day treatments are a gamble and 3 day courses are what my doctors have always recommended.

Yes longer treatments are cheaper, but the more stubborn the infection or more often a woman gets these infections, the longer the course of treatment. I used to get yi's chronically, and once took a two one day traetments, then a three day and finally an 8 day. If I'd taken a 5 day in the first place it might have been over quick.

Anyway, I've tried the 1 days several times and never once has it cured the infection. Every one is different.

Anonymous

From my experience I have always gotten a yeast infection after my periods. I used the Miconozole 1 day treatment, not only did it burn it actually chapped my labia's and cause a tear. It also did not cute my yeast infection. The next day I bought some Tioconozole 1 day treatment. No burning slight itching but the next morning a I had no more symptoms of the infection. I do not understand why anyone would want to treat themselves for a yeast infection 3 or even worse 7 days. If you ate on a budget than I suppose you can buy the lon get treatments but from experience it made me miserable waiting that long.

Anonymous

I have found that the miconazole treatments do work but they burn. I have tried the one day triconazole treatment and it worked great, plus no burning! It's just a bit more expensive.

Anonymous

Nice thread we have here. I suggest to have a wheat free diet consist of yogurt. That would help to balance your body's god and bad bacteria that cause candida. Thats my secret in candida treatment

http://www.treatingcandidayeastinfection.com/candida-treatments/

How does that answer the question at all?

Yeast Infection

Yeast Infection Guide