I recently had to go to Florida on a business trip for two weeks and woke up every morning with what appeared to be hives all over and I couldn’t figure out if it was a rash or was it the yucky bed bugs.
Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that it was indeed Bed Bugs. Bed bugs are very small (0.2 inches) insects that suck on human blood while we sleep. According to CNN, some people may develop allergic reactions or larger skin reactions such as:
• Large, itchy wheals up to 8 inches (20 centimeters) across
• Blister-like skin inflammations
• Groups of small, swollen sacs of pus
• Skin rashes similar to hives
Places with a high turnover of people such as hotels and homeless shelters are more prone to infestations of bed bugs and shouldn’t be taken lightly. The climate, such as tropical climates, and pets may also be a gateway for the creatures to thrive.
CNN also provides information on the treatment of bedbug bites is aimed at relieving symptoms. Bites usually resolve within one to two weeks.
• Apply a topical cream, such as cortisone, to relieve itching.
• Avoid scratching to prevent infection.
• Consult your doctor if you have severe reactions. An oral antibiotic may be recommended if infection occurs. Oral corticosteroids may be recommended for severe allergic reaction.
• Take antihistamines if needed to help relieve allergic reactions.
Once your symptoms are treated, you must tackle the infestation. First, you'll need to freeze pajamas, sheets and other bedclothes for at least 24 hours or launder them in hot water of at least 97 F (36 C). Vacuum the area of infestation daily and freeze the vacuum bags for 24 hours.
Insecticide sprays such as dichlorvos, permethrin and malathion must be used around cracks and crevices in your home. Lawn and garden insect control sprays may contain these insecticides, and garden stores may have permethrin. However, this difficult task likely requires a professional inspection of the bedbug habitat and subsequent extermination.
Have you ever had an infestation of beg bugs? What did you do to rid your dwelling of the nasty creatures?
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.