It's finally over: My 6 week EmpowHER BodyMedia FITness Challange is done. Time sure flies, huh? In case you need a recap, here's what the BodyMedia FIT does:
BodyMedia FIT automatically tracks the calories burned during your daily activities — from pumping iron to using an iron — and monitors the quality of your sleep, an important factor in weight loss. Add in the easy-to-use food log and you have the information you need to improve your weight loss. The 3 part system includes:
- An Armband that automatically captures data.
- An optional Display device or free downloadable mobile apps that give you up-to-the-minute readings throughout the day.
- An online Activity Manager* that analyzes raw data, allows you to log food and presents info in an easy-to-understand way. (*subscription required)
So, my goal for this challenge was to test out the BodyMedia FIT and use it to reach my own personal fitness goals--which, in this case, was to walk everyday, have more active weekends, and walk at least 8000 steps per day.
Here's how I fared:
- Walking: It took me a couple of weeks to work up to my daily walks, but I did it! Snow and an illness thrwarted my attempts for a couple of weeks, but overall, I have been able to keep up my daily walking habit without any issues. In fact, it's something I look forward to everyday, since it helps destress me. I currently walk a little over two miles everyday.
- Active weekends: I struggled with this in the beginning--it's hard to figure out what to do during the winter--but I finally came up with a solution. That solution was to do more high intensity chores (don't laugh) and take more impromptu trips to the mall. Yes, shopping, if you walk fast enough, can be exercise! Because it's fun, it's something I automatically do every weekend now.
- 8000 steps: Again, I struggled to walk enough steps during the beginning because I didn't realize how long I had to walk. Now, at the end of my journey, I have it all figured out--I simply need to walk a little over an hour each day to meet my goal. Of course, I have no trouble meeting this goal now, since a two mile walk for me (leisurely, I might add) takes about the same amount of time.
So, I basically aced all of my goals--sweet!
I want to thank EmpowHER and BodyMedia FIT for allowing me to participate in this challenge. It was really fun, really insightful, and the BodyMedia FIT taught me a lot about what it really takes to stay active. I thought I knew it all, but then this device brought me back to reality. Thankfully.
Oh, and psst, psst--for the record, I will continue to use this device after the challenge ends, because I love it so much. It also works as a great mini-reminder to keep you moving all day long! :)
Disclosure: Device and accompanying online Activity Manager subscription was provided by BodyMedia via EmpowHER. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of BodyMedia or EmpowHER.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.