Going under the knife is not a decision that is taken lightly, and requires months or years of saving money, dealing with insurance policies, meeting with surgeons, and time for recovery. However, when one out of every five individuals who receive cosmetic surgery comes to regret the decision afterwards, the stakes are raised even higher. For all of the time, money, and heartache that could be saved, there are many more healthy and affordable alternatives to receiving professional surgery that will leave you not only with an improved body, but mind and spirit as well.
1. Changes are you may have tried numerous over-the-counter miracle creams, serums, and cosmetics over the years. It is important to note that everyone’s body reacts uniquely to different brands, ingredients, and regiments. Discovering what works for you may take a lot of trial and error, but it is absolutely worth it in the long run. Whether you’re searching for a retinol cream to reduce lines and wrinkles or gels and strips for teeth whitening, there are numerous resources to assist you in selecting the products that stand a good chance of offering you the desired result.
2. If you would still prefer the knowledge of an expert and the results of a professional procedure in correcting your complexion’s trouble spots, a facial is a viable option. A safe alternative to chemical peels, different procedures, equipment and products can be used to tailor-make a spa treatment that facilitates your needs. Professional estheticians will offer a relaxing session which includes a massage along with their personal recommendations for in-store products. However, you can create your own facial at home with any number of DIY scrubs made from common ingredients, or even try microdermabrasion at home with the use of affordable exfoliants and handheld devices from retailers like ShopHQ.
3. In the same vein, massage therapy is a holistic and highly successful route to try. When the cosmetic surgery you are considering has to do with posture, pain treatment or relief, or even wrinkles and cellulite, regularly applied massage techniques can naturally improve a number of issues. Massage produces dozens of benefits to the body, including but not limited to: increased flexibility and circulation, prevention of injury, promotion of tissue regeneration (which reduces scar tissue and stretch marks), releases endorphins and alleviates stress and tension in the body.
4. Regular exercise also does wonders for the body, and can be vital in maintaining appearances as you age. Liposuction is one of the most popular procedures of cosmetic surgery performed – and it is also one that is best altered through personal lifestyle choices. If you need to thin down your belly, face, or chin, create a regimen for exercises that strengthen your core and tone these areas. Sites like Fitness Blender offer full-length videos to follow along with at home, as well as checklist printables you can take with you to the gym to assist in developing more healthy and body-friendly habits that will – in time – stave off unwanted fat deposits and prove a much better option for your health in the long run.
5. When it comes to cosmetic issues on the skin, such as crow’s feet, acne, spots, and more, your makeup might be doing more damage than good. Research the ingredients of the brands and products you regularly apply, and you may be very surprised as to the chemicals, dyes, and other cringe-worthy bits that go into making them. Find paraben-free products and make the switch in your cosmetics, bath and skin care essentials. More popular beauty lines may have serious negative effects on your facial skin down the line, and changing up your routine could restore years to your complexion.
6. The most beautiful people are the ones who smile, so what are you waiting for? Smiling has been proven time and again to improve mood, health, and body image; plus, it acts as a natural face lift, which makes sense as happier people are often said to look younger! Try this: sign up for a daily joke, comic, or positive email letter, like GoComics or Notes from the Universe, to be sent to your inbox to ease the daily grind. Start watching a new television sitcom that incites multiple belly laughs per episode. And whenever you catch your reflection, in the bathroom or car rearview mirror, in a store window or elsewhere, make a smile.
If the desire for surgery comes from low self-esteem, the desire to change your appearance will not go away with surgery. This is a transition that has to come from within – thinking positively, developing smart habits, and pro-actively working towards a better version of yourself. Cosmetic surgery is a temporary solution with permanent ramifications, but making healthy decisions and caring for your body is a life-long process filled with nothing but rewards.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.