Just two weeks ago, my husband called to me from downstairs saying "We're in trouble" I got to the top of the stairs to see my husband bare foot in about an inch of water. OK...nothing to worry about, just call the insurance company, get someone over to start getting the water up, and most important...call the plumber so find out where the water was coming from. I'm a stress specialists...no reason to over-react. The next day I met with the restoration people and worked upstairs while they move boxes and started taking out walls. By the early evening I couldn't breathe. My throat closed up, I couldn't take a deep breath, my chest and back hurt when I tried to breathe, I started getting a Migraine, my eyes burned and watered, and I started getting nauseous. I realized that the restoration man told me there was quite a bit of mold but that it shouldn't be a problem...IT WAS! I had a massive allergic reaction to all the mold and dust spores flying around from the work done. I took some benadryl, which helped some, but the next day the condition worse...I became lethargic and didn't want to wake up or move. My nausea continued and general yuckiness continued, so I went to the doctors office. He verified that I was allergic to whatever type of mold was in the house and not to go back until everything had been cleared. That was two weeks ago. We've had environmental people out to check on things and are in the process of rebuilding, but it's going to be a while. The interesting things is that every item Pat brings from our home re-ignites my symptoms. So any clothing has to go to the laundry before I can be around them, papers, lap-top, book and anything else that was in the house has to be cleaned thoroughly or my throat closes up and I begin the same thing all over again. I now have to be on an inhaler twice a day and a breathing machine twice a day. I don't know how long, but it's the only way I can get a deep breath. For someone who has meditated for over 25 years being on a breathing machine is pretty disconcerting.
I have learned quite a bit about mold and it's reactions. The number one thing I learned about mold is that two of the doctors I talked with said it shouldn't be a problem. I have since learned that each person reacts differently. I always tell my clients to really be in touch with their bodies...I can't tell you how important that is.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.