A good night’s sleep is something that eludes most of us, owing to the number of problems and thought that run through our mind all day, making it a little difficult to power down at the end of the day and leaves us in a cranky and irritable mood the next day. If this is the case with us then imagine the plight of your kids who need a good night’s sleep to help get through the day.
Here are some tips to ensure that your kid sleeps like a log in the night –
1. Hours: It is important to know how many hours of sleep your kid needs. Sleeping for an extra hour or waking an hour early can lead to irritable moods and tantrums. A toddler needs an average of 12 hours, a preschooler – 10, while a kid entering teens needs 8 hours.
2. Place: A brightly lit room, or somewhere the noise of the traffic on the road might be heard is not a good place. Choose a nice and dark room, at the back of the house as your kid’s room. A cool temperature and some light music will help him sleep peacefully. Don’t install a television in his room or let him watch before sleeping.
3. Bedtime: As difficult it may seem, establishing a bedtime and ensuring that your kid goes to bed at that time will benefit them in the long run. It doesn’t matter if your kid falls asleep the minute he hits the pillow, the brain requires some time to shut down. Be consistent and ensure that your kid goes to bed at the right time even on weekends and holidays.
4. Pre-Bedtime: Do something relaxing and calm before putting your kid to sleep. Play some game like ‘snake and ladders’ or maybe read a story to your child. A warm bath or some fresh fruits before bedtime can also do the trick. Do not give him any caffeine, chocolate or even medicines like cough syrup, since they contain stimulants which will keep him awake.
5. Stress Free: Don’t let your kid go to sleep with a heavy heart or some worry, make sure you sort all his problems and maintain an optimistic view of life. It’s important to go to sleep with a calm mind rather than with a mind filled with worries. Let your kid not worry too much, especially when entering their teens – this is when they start understanding life is not all play like it was in their childhood. The cost of living has gone up and it can be tough when you are divorced or separated and money is an issue. Call the child support phone number to help you out the situation.
Kids with their innocent minds and bright smiles can make your troubles disappear for some time and a good night’s sleep will ensure that they stay fresh and energetic throughout the day.
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.