March is the 40th anniversary of National Nutrition Month, here are some tips to help make good food choices:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less, and avoid over-sized portions.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Drink more water.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
Here are some shopping tips:
- Purchase nutrient rich foods (fresh fruits, veggies, lean sources of protein.)
- Keep convenient lower-fat foods on hand for quick meals.
- When purchasing convenience items, focus more on fresh and lightly processed foods. Examples include pre-cut fruits and vegetables; prewashed lettuce, plain frozen fruits and vegetables; dried fruit; and fruits canned in water or 100 percent juice.
For more on this topic, or to read the original article, follow the link: