Having a healthy, white smile is a goal for most of us. Maintaining a good routine for dental hygiene is key to the foundation of that success.The work required to make this happen, can be difficult and even overwhelming at times. Below are just a few easy tips to keep you on track for a healthy, white smile that dazzles.
Top 10 Dental Tips
1. Visit Your dentist regularly. This is very important to not only keep your teeth clean but keep your mouth free of periodontal disease. Regular dental examinations along with professional cleanings can help you keep your teeth clean, white, and healthy for a lifetime.
2. Beware of stains. Drinking red wine, black tea, or even indulging in an occasional cigar will give your teeth a darker, duller appearance. Brushing and flossing alone will not be able to remove these stains that work their way deep into your teeth. A good tip for when you do indulge is to brush and floss immediately after eating and drinking any items you think might stain your teeth. There are also natural tooth whiteners that you can use like crunchy vegetables and fresh apples. Their crunchiness helps give a cleaning action to your teeth to remove some of the lighter staining. There are also whitening toothpastes, such as colgate optic white, which are very effective at removing surface staining when used regularly.
3. Don’t Forget Your Tongue. Studies have shown that bad breath can emanate from the tongue. Dead cells and bacteria can harbor in the folds of our tongue contributing to bad breath. Tongue scraping alone will not rid you of bad breath but it can help. You can use a toothbrush for this or most stores carry tongue scrapers specifically designed for the task at hand.
4. Gargle With Apple Cider Vinegar. This has become a popular remedy for whiter teeth. However, the vinegar can promote an acidic environment in the mouth causing tooth enamel erosion. Rinse with this at your own risk. The benefits may not be worth the risk of enamel erosion and tooth decay.
5. Use An Antibacterial/ Anti-Tartar/ Fluoride Mouthrinse. Oral rinses can get to places we sometimes miss from brushing and flossing. They also have the ability to lower the bacteria count in the mouth to help prevent tooth decay and periodontal disease. A good tip is to choose a mouthwash that specifically targets your needs. There are whitening rinses, anti-plaque rinses to reduce periodontal bacteria such as listerine, anti-tartar rinses such as Periogen, Fluoride rinses such as ACT.
6. Chew Sugarless Gum (with Xylitol). Xylitol has been shown to decrease the incidence in tooth decay when chewed regularly. Xylitol enhances the remineralization of teeth, particularly in small decay spots just developing in the tooth enamel. Also, bacteria are unable to produce acid when xyltiol is present. This inhibition of acid production will help the teeth to stay safe from tooth decay.
7. Brush With A Teeth Whitening
Toothpaste. While the effectiveness of these toothpastes comes into question for many they do help remove light staining. Brushing with a toothpaste like Colgate’s optic white can keep your teeth as white as possible in between dental visits.
8. Choose The Right Lipstick. This tip is for the ladies, choose a medium coral or light red lipstick. These colors can make your teeth appear to look whiter, whereas lighter-colored lipsticks tend to bring out the yellow and darker areas in teeth.
9. Floss Regularly. Many do not realize the staining that can occur in between teeth from plaque buildup. Flossing will help keep tooth decay and periodontal disease in check but it can also make your teeth whiter and brighter.
10. Strawberries. There has been some evidence showing that strawberries have some teeth whitening properties. So next time you grab for a snack think about your teeth and grab some strawberries.
Whiter Smile Conclusion
Having a healthy, white smile can be a reality with routine dental care coupled with good dental hygiene at home. For those, who need have dental issues already and need a little boost, there are many treatments that your dentist can advise you of that can be personalized for your individual needs. It is never too late to have a healthier looking smile!
© 2013, Marielaina Perrone DDS. All rights reserved. Henderson emergency dental care
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.