Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit
Cerebral Palsy Prevention
Several of the causes of cerebral palsy that have been identified through research are preventable or treatable:
Before getting pregnant, receive a
- Seek out early prenatal care.
- Receive testing for blood-type problems. Get treatment if tests reveal incompatible blood types.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol, or use drugs while pregnant.
- Put the baby in a child safety seat when in the car.
- Insist that the child wear a helmet when on a bicycle.
- Seek help if you have or want to hurt the child.
- Keep poisons away from your child.
- Closely supervise bathing.
Get your child
at the recommended time.
- If your baby becomes sick, call the doctor right away.