To prevent the oral spread of the herpes simplex 1 or 2 virus:
- Avoid skin contact, kissing, or sharing food, drink, or personal items with people who have active cold sores
- Avoid performing oral sex on a person with active genital herpes
- If you have an active cold sore, avoid touching the infected area (to avoid spreading the virus to other people and/or other parts of your body)
To prevent recurring outbreaks of cold sores or blisters:
- Avoid long periods of time in the sun.
- Use sun block on lips and face when in the sun.
- Get adequate rest and relaxation to minimize stress.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2017 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.