There is no known way to prevent dementia. In general:
- Eat a healthy diet . This will help you to maintain good levels of vitamin B12 and cholesterol.
- Exercise regularly . This can also enhance cardiovascular health, which may delay the onset of vascular dementia.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation. This means no more than two drinks per day for a man, and one drink per day for a woman. Moderate amounts of alcohol may decrease your risk of dementia. But higher amounts of alcohol can increase your risk of dementia.
- Avoid drug abuse . Also, practice safe sex. This can reduce the risk of AIDS -related dementia.
- Engage in mentally stimulating activity. This may also reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease .
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2017 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.