You may be able to reduce the chance of a tension headache by learning how to manage stress. Try the following strategies:
- Keep a diary, marking when headaches occur and what you were doing before they started.
- Learn to recognize what provokes a tension headache.
- Avoid or minimize stressful situations.
- Take frequent breaks to walk or move around.
- Make time for pleasurable activities.
- Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing and focusing on something pleasant.
- Learn techniques for coping with difficult or stressful situations.
- Make time for friends and build a strong support system.
- Go to bed early and get a good night's sleep.
- Exercise regularly.
- Do not slouch.
- Hold the phone, rather than cradling it on your shoulder, or use a headset.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2017 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.