Spondylolysis can be caused by:
- A congenital defect in the spine (usually appears a few years after birth)
- Acute trauma to the back
- Chronic overextension (bending backwards) with or without sidebending of the back (common in certain sports and activities)
- Hamstring tightness or muscle imbalance
- Degenerative conditions of the spine
- Cerebral palsy —less common
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2017 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.