Photo: Getty Images
Low in calories and high in fiber and protein, a warm bowl of oatmeal is the perfect way to start the day. However some people just can’t get into oats, no matter how much you dress ’em up. Instead of reaching for the instant, get crazy with your oats and think out of the canister.
From protecting your heart to battling diabetes, the benefits of incorporating oats into your diet are unparalleled. Make every meal heart-healthy by using these ten tips to up your oat intake:
1. Instead of using flour or breadcrumbs to fry chicken, use oatmeal.
2. Similar to the way bread or breadcrumbs are used in meatloaf, use about 3/4 cups of oats for every 1-1/2 pounds of ground meat when making a meatloaf.
3. Use leftover cooked oatmeal to make oatmeal fritters by making balls and flattening them into pancakes and frying them until crisp and golden.
4. Substitute some or even all of the flour in your cakes and muffins with oats for a heartier flavor and texture.
5. Thicken smoothies with a teaspoon of oatmeal to ensure you stay full all morning long.
6. Think beyond oatmeal raisin and add oats to your favorite cookie recipe for an extra bit of crunch and fiber.
7. Dust off your waffle maker and substitute half the flour in your recipe with oats for a healthier waffle.
8. For an extra bolt of fiber and flavor incorporate oats into your favorite fruit and nut bar recipe for a heart-healthy snack of breakfast on the go.
9. Instead of cornstarch, use oat flour as a thickener for soups and stews.
10. Fill your Thanksgiving Day turkey with an oatmeal based stuffing in lieu of boring bread or repetitive rice.
Edited by Jody Smith