Happiness is a topic that frequently graces the covers of magazines, book jackets and popular websites. Everyone from celebrity personalities to philosophers seem to have an opinion about what contributes to happiness.
March 20, 2016 is set aside as the International Day of Happiness.
We all lead hurried lives with an overflowing to-do list, and life is tough. However, there are things that you can do to cultivate being happy each day. Pursuing happiness doesn’t have to break the bank either.
Here are 30 of the most overlooked ways to be a happy person.
1) Engage the child within yourself and play. This might be a video game or coloring a picture. Adult coloring books are very popular now, so go ahead and color outside the lines.
2) Dance. Throw yourself a dance party. Get up, play your favorite song and move. No judgements, just move to the beat.
3) Turn up the volume. Adjust your playlist and create one with tunes that put a smile on your face or hit reply.
4) Spread some joy. Give someone a compliment. It could even be a stranger, but complimenting others is good for you, too.
5) Practice compassion with a stranger. Simply holding the door open for someone is a way to express kindness. You can offer to pay for the coffee of the person standing behind you, as well.
6) Say thank you. This doesn’t have to be a sit-down formal conversation. Just saying those words, “Thank you,” means that you are acknowledging something good in your day.
7) Declutter a small area. This could mean cleaning out a drawer or rearranging a small space. Just moving things around a bit can be fun.
8) Change your screensaver. Check out what are you looking at when you answer the phone or power up your computer. Find an image that makes you smile.
9) Do an activity with your child. It doesn’t have to blow your budget. It may be just including your child in something that you routinely do on your own.