Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Fitness

Get Email Updates

Resource Centers

Fitness Guide

Christine Jeffries

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!

Women's Role: Encouraging Men to Get Their Heart Checked Out

By Meg Rees M.S. P.A. C
 
Rate This

Are you in a committed relationship? Then you have a responsibility you might not have thought about: health maintenance for your man. Just as you have other responsibilities like providing moral or financial support or pursuing happiness, you need to be involved in your man’s health. Think about it… it will pay off in the future.

Remember that, traditionally, women are the caregivers in the family. Women are more knowledgeable and experienced with the health care system through years of pelvic examinations and visiting the pediatrician. They take care of their parents and set up physician appointments for them, their own children and their spouses.

In this day and age, when preventative strategies are available and are affordable, your partner can no longer hide in a cave and say, “I did not know about it!” The caveman days are over! How many times do we hear on the TV about heart disease, prostate cancer or other male issues? Lots!

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC found that only about 40 percent of office visits are attributed to men while the remaining 60 percent are women. Men typically visit their physician if they absolutely have to and almost always say, “My wife made me come in.”

Keeping a man healthy:
1. Understand male health problems
2. Find out when men need to have a check-up
3. Go along with him to the doctor
4. Compile his family health history
5. Help him talk about his concerns/symptoms/fears
6. Motivate him to follow a healthy diet and exercise

In addition, heart disease is the number one threat to men’s health according to the Mayo Clinic Staff. But, even people with heart disease live longer if they make positive changes in their life. So do not get discouraged, your man is never too old. Start early and ask your physician about your goals.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Improved

1768 Health

Changed

669 Lives

Saved

532 Lives
3 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

Are you happy with your appearance?:
View Results